X

Need Help With Tires

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help With Tires

I have a 1989 Kat 600...Can any body give me an idea as to what tires sizes are best for this bike. (other than stock sizes All the bike shops around here will not carry the sizes on this bike...Newer bikes have different size tires and they say They won't mount them due to that fact.

Do I need to stay the same or what...? Help me out Kat owners...Thx
    A DAY WITHOUT SUN ....... IS LIKE NIGHT !

Here's a link, from one of our very own, with some good info on your question. http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/kata...aUpgrades.html

You can go as big as a 160/60 on the rear, several katriders here have that size tire, and love it..others feel it's alittle big and affects the handling too much for thier liking.

But thats a start.. also check out the rolling stock forum for more info too. In fact, I think I'll move this thread of yours in there, so you have more info readily available to you.

Comment

Best size is stock! if you wanna go wider you should defenitily NOT go wider than a 150/70, your rearrim is not wide enough to accomodate a wider tyre.

Comment

Originally posted by kwebbel
        ...you should defenitily NOT go wider than a 150/70, your rearrim is not wide enough to accomodate a wider tyre.
        Yep--on the pre-98s, you're maxed at 150 on the rear....unless you get a new wheel, of course.

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

Thanks Guy's... I went to a 120-70-17 Mich. Pilot ZR on the front and looking to widen the rear up abit

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed750
            Here's a link, from one of our very own, with some good info on your question. http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/kata...aUpgrades.html

You can go as big as a 160/60 on the rear, several katriders here have that size tire, and love it..others feel it's alittle big and affects the handling too much for thier liking.

But thats a start.. also check out the rolling stock forum for more info too. In fact, I think I'll move this thread of yours in there, so you have more info readily available to you.
            While I appreciate your reposting my site's pages, the info on that particular page is for the 98+ Kats. You can find the info for various generations at CyberPoet's Katana Family Tree (Specs, measurements), although others contributed the pre-98 info and I won't swear to any of their statements in general.
            The pre-98's use a significantly narrower rear wheel, which limits their safe tire choices to a max of 150/70ZR17, unless they either:

(A) Find a manufacturer who makes a wider tire specifically designed for the narrower rim mounting (I think Avon may offer this option in some of their tires, but no one else I know does so in a radial tire and you shouldn't use bias tires if it can be avoided for safety reasons, as radials retain their shape better on deflation, improving your odds of safely coming to a stop through a turn on a blow-out or puncture). OR

(B) Mount a set of 98+ rims as a replacement for the stock ones.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I'm also looking for input on the michelin pilot power tires..I put 150-70-17 rear and a 120-70-17 on the front....seem sticky to me.. -M

Comment

Originally posted by 1FunnyGuy
                I'm also looking for input on the michelin pilot power tires..I put 150-70-17 rear and a 120-70-17 on the front....seem sticky to me.. -M
                That is what I'm looking to put on my Kat... so keep me posted on how yours feel.

Thanks,
                Paladin

1996 GSX 600 F
                Katana

Comment

Well...I'll tell ya.... ! Those Michelin's are the Kat's Meow... After several size rotations, I ended with the 160-60-17 Pilot Power on the rear and the 120-70-17 Pilot Power on the front. This bike handles like its on rails.....Very nice

Mitch

Comment

Working...
                  X