tire ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The CyberPoet
    replied
    Here's the reasons manufacturers always want you to put the matched tires on:

1. The front tire sweeps rain and debris for the tread pattern of the rear tire. Different tires mean different sweep patterns, and the rear may not have a good sweep from the front;

2. The matched tires will have apex rates that are designed to work together, so the frame doesn't have to compensate by torquing when you're leaned over. This should maximize the steering feel and adhesion, although some swear by specific combinations of different tires. With a heavy steel-framed bike like the Kat, it's probably not as important as it would be on more flexible framed bikes, but it is still a serious consideration.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet

Leave a comment:

• OldandReallySlow
    replied
    Ah-Ha the neferious Guest is back!!!

Leave a comment:

• ghelper
    replied
    Originally posted by Spedee
    Originally posted by ghelper
    hay speedee what new
    Hay is for horses and Spedee is spelled Spedee!
    got 21 houses for sale how may can i put you down for

Leave a comment:

• blkpitbull
    replied
    Originally posted by floxera
    Originally posted by Anonymous
    Ill fess up. I ran a brand new dunlop 208zr (160/60) rear with a 50% battleax 020 front (120/70). To my and probably your suprise it handled pretty good. The only problem I had was the dunlop took alot longer to warm up than the bridgestone front. I would fell the front getting more grip with heat, and I would assume I could get more aggresive, but I was wrong. The rear would spin up coming out of 1st and 2nd gear corners. Talking about puckering up a tailhole. But a few more minutes the rear would get grippy and then it was pretty darn good!!
    But ive since went to the same tires front and rear!!

Todd
    You fessed up as a guest?

No I wrote that last night. I had a problem last nite with the board logging me out. I guess I didnt notice tha I wasnt signed in when I wrote that. So yes I fess up again........

Todd

Leave a comment:

• Spedee
    replied
    hay speedee what new
    Hay is for horses and Spedee is spelled Spedee!

Leave a comment:

• floxera
    replied
    Originally posted by Anonymous
    Ill fess up. I ran a brand new dunlop 208zr (160/60) rear with a 50% battleax 020 front (120/70). To my and probably your suprise it handled pretty good. The only problem I had was the dunlop took alot longer to warm up than the bridgestone front. I would fell the front getting more grip with heat, and I would assume I could get more aggresive, but I was wrong. The rear would spin up coming out of 1st and 2nd gear corners. Talking about puckering up a tailhole. But a few more minutes the rear would get grippy and then it was pretty darn good!!

Todd
    You fessed up as a guest?

Leave a comment:

• Anonymous
    replied

Todd

Leave a comment:

• floxera
    replied
    110/70 is that what was stock on your year of kat
    I think stock was 110/80 front 140/80 rear.

Leave a comment:

• ghelper
    replied
    hay speedee what new

Leave a comment:

• Spedee
    replied
    [

some ol' michelin sport/touring 110/70 on the front. I.

Yes the earlier Kats had smaller rims. Till 98.

Leave a comment:

• ghelper
    replied
    [

some ol' michelin sport/touring 110/70 on the front. I.

Leave a comment:

• floxera
    replied
    now that helps any one else done it i know people have they just don't want to say they have tell me what you think thanks
    Yeah I admit it. I did it for 2 weeks while make a front stand. I had a diablo rear 150/60 and some ol' michelin sport/touring 110/70 on the front. It create sever handling problems. The turn in would be fine then about 1/3 to 1/2 through a corner the bike would want to stand back up straight. I could force her back down but she would fight back through the rest of the corner. I literally tip toed around corners for 2 weeks. Not Fun.

Leave a comment:

• ghelper
    replied
    now that helps any one else done it i know people have they just don't want to say they have tell me what you think thanks

Leave a comment:

• OldandReallySlow
    replied
    For awhile, I ran a dunlop 208 ZR on the back with a Battleaxe 012 on the front and It stuck just fine (well enough to chase Dennis and BearKat up Palomar). Only reason I changed the back was because I got a screw in it. Wore the front completely out with a Michelin Pilot on the rear and only noticed one slip from the front (BearKat can tell you about that one) after it was pretty worn out. Now I'm running Michelin (Pilot Road - rear Pilot Power - front) all around but I don't think it really makes that much difference on the road.

Leave a comment:

• ghelper
    replied
    Originally posted by Need4Speed750
    Yes, I agree, I wouldnt do it either, although I cant say that I speak from experience as I have always ran the same brand front and back. Unless you can get some kinda guarantee from the dealer or a knowledgable counterpart as to the compatability..i'd stick with running both of the same. Just my .02 though.
    why ?
    because of traction feel handling
    why not want info man thanks

Leave a comment:

Working...
X