X

a couple question about rims for my katana, pleae read

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a couple question about rims for my katana, pleae read

ok, i own a 1998 katana 600 and i want to upgrade my rims width. do i need to do anything special to fit a wider rim? and does anyone know what is the best size for that size of a bike. thanks for the help guys :P

Why do you want to "upgrade" the rim? Front or rear?

You just can't slap on a new wider rim on the kat, if you look at yours right now, look at the spacing between the edge of the tire and the inside of the swingarm, there's not much room there.

So what does this mean?

Well, you could take it 2 ways:

1.) Ok, I guess a wider rim isn't a bolt on and go item

or

2.) I really want a wider tire in the back and I want to spend a lot of money on custom fabrication of a swingarm that will fit my kat and allow a wider rim.

The choice is yours....

In short, the answer to your question is yes you do need to do something special to accommodate a wider
    rim, you need to get a custom swingarm made and possibly a new shock, shock mounts, and you have to make sure that the front and rear sprockets are aligned.

And the best tire and rim for your size of bike is exactly what you have on there right now. Pretty much if suzuki thought that the kat should have a wider tire and rim, they would have put in on there. Putting a wider tire will only make negative changes to your handling.
    Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
    18v Rigid Drill
    Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
    New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

I really want a wider tire in the back and I want to spend a lot of money on custom fabrication of a swingarm that will fit my kat and allow a wider rim.
      Finally someone understands my project!!
      Think I'll start a thread asking "What's the biggest tire you can put on a Kat?"

Comment

I think it is something you want to do,then do it.I was also considering something like this myself.You always get the answer"if suzuki wanted you to do it,they would have put it on there" If they did it then we wouldn't need aftermarket companies for parts and we wouldn't an imagination either.
        So bottom line is,do what you like,just always understand that it will take some customizing to make your dreams come true.I already have about $ 3500 in custom paint and mods that Suzuki didn't put on there,but I wanted it.When I bought my Jeep,they also didn't raise it up 6" and put 33" tires on it,but I did.Some people out there aren't happy with stock and just want to know what it takes to make it their own.All they want is an honest answer,not always an opinion.
        I'm done now
        02 Customized Katana
        97 Wrangler 4 in lift 33" tires (Redneck Cadillac)

What can I say,I like to play

Comment

with time and $$$ you can do anything you want, I'll say search around and go for it.

Comment

I'm actually just finishing up a swingarm swap. It's a good deal of work but by no means impossible. I wanted it for looks so I got a 180 on my kat now and I'll probably end up with a 190 when it's time for a tire. I don't think anyone else in my area will have one on their kat so I think it's cool. I did the work myself and it's a good feeling to see things start coming together. If you want to do it go for it.

Comment

Huuuuumm! I'm thinking on moving to your area, so you won't be the only one after all .

Comment

I know a few years back 2 guys took a gsxr swing arm and put it into 2 pre 98 kat 600s. They looked really awesome on there as well. With a little time and money you can do it. Just remeber to get all your measurements correct. If not then you run the risk of injury when you do get to ride it. Enjoy and please post up your progress if do this swap. A good write up on it will help others as well.
                www.mopowersports.com

Comment

get a supersport bike or spend even more money on the KAT if you want a touring bike nontheless
                  06 KAT 600

Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Ignorant and Dangerous

Comment

Working...
                  X