X

One more Tire Dilema

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One more Tire Dilema

I got a hold of the stock rear tire (Metz ME55A) brand spanking new (sitting in a house for 3 years) but looks in perfect shape. The guy wants $100 canadian for it (neighbor). Which Metzler tire would be compatible with the rear? The metz lasertec? or could it not be compatible with anything, since they don't make the same tires as they did 3-5 years ago?
    1989 Suzuki Katana 750

I'm running a ME55A Metronic 150/70 with a ME330 110/80 in front - I was told that it's compatible and I could get one cheap. Otherwise it's supposed to be used with the ME33 Laser.

EDIT: Check this out:

I also took a look at the Metzeler site, and the new Lasertec tires look strangely enough exactly like the ME55a Metronic/ME33 Laser... Product development
    - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Re: One more Tire Dilema

Originally posted by 89katana750

I got a hold of the stock rear tire (Metz ME55A) brand spanking new (sitting in a house for 3 years) but looks in perfect shape. The guy wants $100 canadian for it (neighbor). Which Metzler tire would be compatible with the rear? The metz lasertec? or could it not be compatible with anything, since they don't make the same tires as they did 3-5 years ago?
      Two things to be very careful of:
      (A) Check the manufacture date imprinted on the tire. If the tire is 4 years old, walk away; at 5 years of age, it's considered "hardened" past it's useful life expectancy due to loss of VOC's that keep the rubber maliable.

(B) Check the weight ratings. I don't htink the ME55A and 33 Lasers are actually intended for the Kat because of the high curb weight of the bike -- the weight ratings should be something in the neighborhood of 58 front and 69 rear.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
        (B) Check the weight ratings. I don't htink the ME55A and 33 Lasers are actually intended for the Kat because of the high curb weight of the bike -- the weight ratings should be something in the neighborhood of 58 front and 69 rear.
        Cyber, do you mean that the load rating should be equal to or exceed 58 and 69 for the Kat, or that's what they are for these tires? (mine are 57 front and 69 rear, I think) I'm quite light myself though, ~70 kg with gear.
        - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

The Metz's were OE for Kats , or so says the little tag under my seat . Also so said the Pirelli/Metzler rep I talked to recently . But I've see tires online for failry cheap besides , so ....
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow
            Originally posted by The CyberPoet
            Cyber, do you mean that the load rating should be equal to or exceed 58 and 69 for the Kat, or that's what they are for these tires? (mine are 57 front and 69 rear, I think) I'm quite light myself though, ~70 kg with gear.
            The older Kats may have slightly different weight ratings; the 98+ models are 58 front/69 rear (higher is obviously acceptible; lower isn't), and the pre-98's should be within a single number of those based on similar curb weights (check the owner's manual for exact specs). I was just looking at lasers in the 110/80 catagory and saw weight ratings in the low 50's, which I know are too low.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
            X