X

chromed wheels

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chromed wheels

If I want to chrome my wheels on my 750, do I just pull mine off and have them chromed and if that is the right thing, who do I use?

OR

DO I just go out and purchase new chromed wheels outright? If so, who do I buy from?

thanks

Hi, welcome to Katriders a great source for repair and modification information for your GSXF Suzuki, please take the time to browse the different forums and read the how-to/faq forum before asking any questions. You may find just the answer you were looking for and so much more!

Comment

"I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
      JOHN 16:33

Comment

I did spend a good amount of time on the forum and found on question after question about tires and nothing on wheels....

Hence posting my own topic......
        the time it took to write a reply I would have figured you could have simply posted a link...

guess not....

Comment

I have that all set up so that it takes just a few seconds to do... A lot of people figure it takes less time to post an answer than a smart assed answer. A lot of people figure it isn't worth their time to do a search or to look around. It's easier to just ask the question, again, sometimes a question that has been asked 50 times.. It is actually worse to answer a post like this. Why? because then there are 50 posts about a subject.. where if everyone put in the time to search then there would be maybe 5.
          So now there is this post about chrome wheels. It will come up in a search and have little or possible no information about chrome wheels.. Or an old post could have been found and added to or simply read. The fewer post about a subject the better the search engine works. I have been on this site for a long time and while I have better "luck" than some searching I think 50% of it is that I try more than once and I'm patiant. 40% is that I remember a user name associated with the post and that narrows the search. The final 10% is luck.. SO there you go. You got, what 300 words on why I post that stock response, and still no information on chrome wheels. So that makes me a jerk? Maybe, a few people think I am. So even if 472 people here think I’m a jerk that is only 10% of the Kat riders population.. Better than I do in real life I bet..

Comment

Your wheels are aluminum and can be polished.

Chroming the wheels will work, but add weight to the bike.

Chroming is easier, if costlier.

Once polished they can be repolished - once chromed, not so easy.

Take a magnet - if it sticks, chrome, if not polish.
            I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

I polished my rims (they were the stock painted black rims), it took a while, but was very inexpensive, and they look great IMO.
              It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

chroming isn't a do it your selfer

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Might be easier for you to buy chromed ones already and use your existing ones as cores. Sasquatch has a good point tho, you can polish aluminum to look like chrome and it's a lot cheaper.
                  Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
                  Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by paperairplane
                    Take a magnet - if it sticks, chrome, if not polish.
                    You sure about that? Chrome plating is a 3-step process- copper plating, then nickel plating, then chrome. As I recall, none of those are ferrous metals, therefore a magnet will not stick to them.
                    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Im not sure where you are from but I purchased my chrome wheels from www.supercycleonline.com. They are located in Spartanburg, SC. I live in Charlotte, NC which is only about an hour away so I just loaded the old kat on the truck and drove. It took them less than an hour. I paid about $1000.00 for wheels and tires. Be advised that they do require you to trade in your old wheels. Heres a couple of pics that I had posted previously.

Comment

If a magnet sticks to the metal you are looking at it it is likely steel and can be chromed, if a magnet does not stick it is likely aluminum and should be polished instead.

your swingarm you chrome, your grab rail you polish
                        I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Working...
                        X