X

What do you do when you get a flat?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do when you get a flat?

I know that eventually, I will have a flat, pick up a nail, whatever. What do you carry with you to get you off the side of the road? I dont mean a cell phone, has anyone seen Co2 cartridges and plug kit, supposed to repair and re-inflate a tire for emergency situations? I dont like the idea of leaving my bike on the side of the road, and I may not always have the luxury of being able to call someone. Just what would you do?
    2000 Kat 600
    "Fast Blue"
    Pic in Profile

Get some run flat tires that all those rap stars sing about.. oh, and I would have dubs too.

What are dubs????
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

i blew a tire, from a nail i picked up on the road, a long time ago...although in my case, I had to lay it down, but thats another story. I guess if u had too..a run flat substance could get u to the nearest gas station or mini mart, but i wouldnt try it any further than, and maybe still, not at all.

Comment

Well , I keep a cable lock or two in my bag at all times , and I've had to chain my bike to a roadsign or two before , as well as hiding it in the weeds . I'd like to get one of those tire patch kit deals for under the seat one day , though .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I will have to see what I can come up with. There should be something out there that will get you home.
          2000 Kat 600
          "Fast Blue"
          Pic in Profile

Comment

I have been thinking about this lately & looking at what is available for bikes, not sure what to get.

Funny thing is that I had never thought about this until this winter.

I have been very lucky to never have gotten a flat one any of the bikes I've owned(knocks on wood), now broken chains is another story.
            I don't know how fast my bike goes, I've never stopped to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1100FL

I have been very lucky to never have gotten a flat one any of the bikes I've owned(knocks on wood), now broken chains is another story.
              Tell me about it . I keep master links under my seat now . Seems like every summer I lose a chain . And I always take care of them too , so no , that's not the reason ! I've seen quite a few kits made to fit under a seat that use the little rubber strips and a reamer to patch up tires , guess I should just pick one . Anybody ever use one that worked well or not so well ?

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                ...I keep master links under my seat now . Seems like every summer I lose a chain
                Why don't you stop using masterlinks and actually press-fit the chain on?

I've seen quite a few kits made to fit under a seat that use the little rubber strips and a reamer to patch up tires , guess I should just pick one . Anybody ever use one that worked well or not so well ?
                Malloc used the cheap $3 kit from the local auto parts store a couple weeks ago (against my advice -- he's running the Metzeler Z6's, which are Z-rated tires, and Z-rated tires shouldn't be patched/plugged), and it's holding just fine. I swear, his penny-pinching is going to get him into trouble one of these days.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Walked the kat home once. Next time co2 + big fat philips-screw got me home and to the shop first thing next morning. Not recomended, the philips, but it gets me where I want and I don't have to ride far since I live in an ant's nest: the Netherlands...

Comment

i just put on the spare tire

Comment

I will check out my local Cycle Gear on Monday, and let you know what I find. I am riding 2-up more now than ever before, and I have been thinking of issues like this.
                      2000 Kat 600
                      "Fast Blue"
                      Pic in Profile

Comment

I guess it don't matter here since a motorcycle tire will need to be replaced if you pick up a nail, but if you put fix-a-flat in your cage tire, the tire repair will cost you losts more. The active ingrediant in fix-a-flat eats throught the glue thats holds a tire plug. If you put fix a flat in your tire the tire will have to be taken off the rim and cleaned. If the reapir shop dosen't do this, then they are not doing your tire repair properly. IMO put your spare on and take your tire to a good service center for the proper reapair. Proper repair being a patch/plug combo, or patch. While plugs are very good these days tire manufactures insist on a patch or patch/plug.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                          ...I keep master links under my seat now . Seems like every summer I lose a chain
                          Why don't you stop using masterlinks and actually press-fit the chain on?

I've seen quite a few kits made to fit under a seat that use the little rubber strips and a reamer to patch up tires , guess I should just pick one . Anybody ever use one that worked well or not so well ?
                          Malloc used the cheap $3 kit from the local auto parts store a couple weeks ago (against my advice -- he's running the Metzeler Z6's, which are Z-rated tires, and Z-rated tires shouldn't be patched/plugged), and it's holding just fine. I swear, his penny-pinching is going to get him into trouble one of these days.

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Well , I DID rivet my last chain on . The master links are just in case . I like to try to be prepared . And as far as patching goes , I'd just want something that could get me home or somewhere I can get a new tire mounted , not something to ride around on indefinately . In which case , it sounds like that cheapy kit would be just fine !

Comment

...as far as patching goes , I'd just want something that could get me home or somewhere I can get a new tire mounted , not something to ride around on indefinately . In which case , it sounds like that cheapy kit would be just fine !
                            Just pay attention to the drying times. Of all the patch kits I've seen, the ones I'd trust the most use a mushroom-headed plug, where the wide part of the mushroom goes into the tire and spreads on the backside, to form a flat-like patch plus plug combination

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Don't like the "strip-style" plugs ? I've had those in my car before , and heard of bikers back in the seventies who had LOTS of those patches in one tire .

Comment

Working...
                              X