X

help me ?????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help me ?????

removing tires today and i downloaded the man. i have 2005 600, i need to know what size the bolt in front axle is its not a nut like the man. says , so i need to know what that is called and the torq. to put it back

I think you mean the 12 mm hex head?
    A good Motorcycle shop should have one of these:

Or a decent hardware store will have the single hex key.
    Another method is to use a 12mm bolt like this:

with a couple of locking nuts..

The torque should still match the book, but maybe Cyber will correct me..

Comment

I'm not sure I understand the question....

There are "axle lock nuts" and the "axle" itself.

I'm not sure exactly what the 98+ looks like... but I'm sure the torque values are in there somewhere.

"the bolt, it's not a nut?" Can you be more specific?
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

i got both tires off, now any help on changing brak pads front and back would be a big help

Comment

Well you didn't need to take them off to change pads.
          In fact it is a lot easier to do it with the rotor in place.
          You have a 98+ so this is generic type info;
          There is a plastic access cover, pop that off.
          Remove the clips on the two rods that pass through the caliper and the pad. Then pull the rods. Use a "tool" to spread the pads away from the rotor taking care not to damage the rotor. You are forcing the caliper pistons into the calipers so watch the brake fluid (you are pushing fluid back into the res and it could over fill) you don't need this room to get the old pads out but to put the new one in (as they are thicker). But best to gouge up the old pads than new ones! The pads should wiggle right out. and the new ones slide right in. Now there are some retaining springs of some kind but as I don't know what 98+ ones look like just take note of how they fit and replace them the same way. Good idea to do one side at a time so you have the untouched one to refer back to.

Comment

thanks . get new tires on and decide to change pads while tires are off

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
              Well you didn't need to take them off to change pads.
              In fact it is a lot easier to do it with the rotor in place.
              You have a 98+ so this is generic type info;
              There is a plastic access cover, pop that off.
              Remove the clips on the two rods that pass through the caliper and the pad. Then pull the rods. Use a "tool" to spread the pads away from the rotor taking care not to damage the rotor. You are forcing the caliper pistons into the calipers so watch the brake fluid (you are pushing fluid back into the res and it could over fill) you don't need this room to get the old pads out but to put the new one in (as they are thicker). But best to gouge up the old pads than new ones! The pads should wiggle right out. and the new ones slide right in. Now there are some retaining springs of some kind but as I don't know what 98+ ones look like just take note of how they fit and replace them the same way. Good idea to do one side at a time so you have the untouched one to refer back to.
              I think that 98+ only have opposed pistons for the rear brakes. On the front brake (at least on the bandit which I assume is simular) the pads have a spring that snaps on the back... the inside pad is static... only the outside pad moves.... you remove the safety pin, and the retaining pin, and the pads should drop right out. Should take about 5 minutes to swap them.
              -Steve

sigpic

Comment

And there you are..
                Thanks Steve..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                  And there you are..
                  Thanks Steve..
                  Like I said... assuming the 98+ pads are similar to the bandits pads....

What BP said should hold true for the rear brake... it's an opposed pistion with several springs and retaining pins.
                  -Steve

sigpic

Comment

got the tires on, replace rear brake pads put everything back together back tire is a bear,so was the back break pad, but its done and took her for a ride

Comment

Back tire was a bear? I just use my foot to lever it in place... Just did it about 40 minutes ago...
                      -Steve

sigpic

Comment

this was a 1st for me, take the good with bad,but i can say idid it.only been doing things like this since a found this site, undertail,d&d pipe,remove graphics,ect,still learning

Comment

pic

Comment

Working...
                          X