X

Flat Tire

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat Tire

I picked up a small nail or something in my back tire. Does anyone suggest patching it? The hole is on the tread, not the sidewall. I've called a couple of dealerships and they won't do it for liability reasons so I would have to do it myself. I don't think any one here would benefit financially like the dealers if I bought a new tire so what would you guys suggest?
    2005 Suzuki V-Strom 1000

In a car I'd patch it, on a bike where 50% of your rubber is one tire, I wouldn't chance it.

Comment

Re: Flat Tire

Originally posted by Bartman311
      I picked up a small nail or something in my back tire. Does anyone suggest patching it? The hole is on the tread, not the sidewall. I've called a couple of dealerships and they won't do it for liability reasons so I would have to do it myself. I don't think any one here would benefit financially like the dealers if I bought a new tire so what would you guys suggest?
      Get a new tire. Heck, while you're at it, get a set of new tires--something like Diablos if you're into cornering. It will feel like a whole new bike.

Do not screw around with patching a motorcycle tire. Just write it off--the money savings is not worth the safety risk, and you'll get so much more out of better tires.

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

According to Bridgestone a tire can be repaired, check out the tire repair section on the following page:

I found a local dealer who would repair my tire when I pick up a piece of a key but it was 1/2 the price of a new tire installed so I just went with the new one.

Comment

Don't do it.

Get a new one. Get a new set while you're at it--one that suits your riding style.

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

(A) Two manufacturers say that you can patch some of their rear tires ONCE (Dunlop, Bridgestone), but the speed rating of the tire drops to 70 mph from that instant forward. None say you can patch the front tire.

(B) No manufacturer will normally tell you that you can patch a Z-rated MC tire because of the way the belts and heat build-up interact. The damages would not be visible to the naked eye, but could cause the tire to lose structural integrity. Doing so is foolish at best, although there are many people who have gotten a ton of miles out of their patched tires.

(C) IMHO, it's not worth it. Replace the tire. You can patch the old one and sell it on eBay with a full disclaimer that it is patched -- it'll help offset the cost of a new one. Someone out there who rides a crap bike will be happy to get something that will be good to 70 mph cheaply.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I always buy a set or new. I thought about repairing a few months ago when I went through 4 in a month but couldn't justify the risk no matter how much money I saved.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X