X

Getting to the EDGE!!!!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting to the EDGE!!!!!!

I just posted a reply on another topic and it got me thinking.

I am on the edge of my front tire 120/60/17 but I have about ¼ inch left on my back tire 160/60/17. I am wondering if I am approaching my turns wrong or something. I figure I could be forcing my bike over with my weight instead of pushing out on the front wheel. Or something like that. I am waiting on the Sport Riding Techniques book md86 suggested, but I wanted to see if you guys have any input.

Is anyone else running this tire combination getting to the edge of their rear tire?
    sigpic

A Fine is a Tax you pay for doing wrong!
    A Tax is a Fine you pay for doing well!

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u214/Chuckwick357/

Most 120/60's I've seen aren't weight rated for the katana. what kinda are you running?
    I'd guess it's normal, since you have a stock width front tire, and a one-size larger rear tire, the profile of the rear has changed, making the edge of the tire more.... umm..... steep, I guess that's the word. If you switched to a 150 rear, you'd probably be right at the edge. You'd match, likely if you had a (hypothetical) 130/70 front tire.
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484
      Most 120/60's I've seen aren't weight rated for the katana. what kinda are you running?

I am running Metzeler Sportec M-1s front and rear. The tire has about 6k on it and still holding strong and I am not a small guy.
      sigpic

A Fine is a Tax you pay for doing wrong!
      A Tax is a Fine you pay for doing well!

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u214/Chuckwick357/

Comment

I noticed that I was also running out to the edge with the 120/60 M1, But when I went back to the 120/70 it did not run out to the edge anymore. I feel thet the highth of the tire is what is making the difference. Also with the 160/60 on the rear and 120/70 on the front I have noticed that the rear is now running out to the edge and the front has a 1/4 chicken strip to it, So I am thinking of trying a 160/70 on the rear when I replace it.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Also , if you hang off , you don't lean as far , so you're strips will actually be bigger . Yeah , THAT'S my excuse , and I'm sticking with it .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
            Also , if you hang off , you don't lean as far , so you're strips will actually be bigger . Yeah , THAT'S my excuse , and I'm sticking with it .
            man maybe i should use that excuse as well.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiFred
              ...when I went back to the 120/70 it did not run out to the edge anymore.
              On the Z6's, with the stock sizes (120/70ZR17 front, 150/70ZR17 rear) I'll get to the edge of the rears and still have quite a bit of safety margin on the fronts. Since I don't enjoy having the front wash out on me (and am far more likely to recover from the rear slipping a little if I overstep it -- but I haven't yet), this suits me just fine.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by BarMatt80
                Originally posted by md86
                man maybe i should use that excuse as well.
                Well , how about this .....
                In my sig pic I get about that low fairly often and every once in a while a little lower (knee about 1" or so off the ground I'm told ) , yet the strip on my rear is still routinely like 1" . I've seen people with less of a strip , but they say I get lower than they . Just sayin ....
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

If you get lower I mean lean the bike more over than the other your safety/chickenstrip will be less.
                  Only reason for this I can imagine is that you ride more straight-on miles which would camouflage the strip by more wear at the center off the tread.

Apart from that the way you ride your corners may be different from the other, but shifting bodyweight like you do in your sig is the way you will lean the bike less than in case you keep your bodyweight in the saddle.

Comment

Hey what do you guys think of the metezler sportec m-1? or the m-3? or should i just get the z-6's

Comment

Normally, if you are riding (I hate using correctly) properly in corners, your tire wear will be more or less even on both front and rear. If you are to the edge on the front and not the rear that could mean you are "pushing" the front into corners (being aggressive) while not driving off the corner with the rear. When we race, thats one of the things we look for.
                      sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
                      MSF Rider Coach 27028
                      MoPowerSports.com
                      Torco
                      SoCalTrackDays

Comment

Originally posted by katclaw
                        Hey what do you guys think of the metezler sportec m-1? or the m-3? or should i just get the z-6's
                        For Florida, I'd recommend the Z6's. They'll do far better come rainy season, and with the temps here, they'll grip more than any turn you are likely to encounter (but please do read my disclaimer above about engine mods -- if you slap a 1157 or 1200cc engine in, this does not apply).

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

thanks cyber now i want thinking about going with some pilots but since they have the same type tread pattern as the m1s and m3 would you still recommend just running the z6s also i was wondering do the z-6s get up to operating temp pretty quick. lol yeah im blaming you if i put the z-6s on my imaginary busa and wreck.

p.s. im just going to still with my 600kat for now

Comment

You coming out to the Florida KatRider's meet in Clearwater on the weekend of the 20th? You can probably try a couple different tires there (ok, I'm not prone to letting people I don't know ride my Kat, but exceptions can be made once I feel comfy with your riding style).

In all honesty, there is nothing in Florida that you can't ride on a stock Kat with the Z6's doing as well or better than the M3's, except the occasional trackday. We simply don't have the terrain & weather (& raw torque on the Kats) to exploit the differences...

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

ok cool well then its a toss up i like the look of the m3 but i want something that has good wet traction and turning because my girlfriend rides my bike to so i want is to stick when she goes around a turn.

i know what you mean about the letting people ride your bike i dont like trying out other peoples stuff like that incase something were to happen. i dont know if i can make it to this meet i think i have something going on at that time

Comment

Working...
                              X