Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

do i need to take out my wheel bearings?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do i need to take out my wheel bearings?

alright, my wheels and swingarm are getting taken to the powder coating place on friday. i need to figure out what all i need to do before they can take care of it. i know tim (trinc) just got his done. i know i have to strip my wheels, take off tires, and valve stems, but do i need to take out my bearings or anything else to them? thanks for the help.
    if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

I think they would like it if you take the bearings out for them. That was part of the process that we to to my rim.

So....Yes.
    1995 GSX-R 750W (Barney Bike - Street)
    2004 GSX-R 600 (Race Bike) - Powered by MoPowerSports.com
    Certified Addicted Racing/Trackday Monkey & Gixxer Fixxer // WERA West #224

Comment

And since everything is already apart, you may as well do it. Bearings are cheap!
      Kan-O-Gixxer!
      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
      -Ohlins Susupension
      -Various Other Mods

Comment

The bearings need to come out, and usually that's left to you. The bearing area also needs to be masked to make sure no powdercoat adheres there -- you need to check if that's your responsibility or theirs. The bearings are normally not reusable once removed (and should not be reused at that point), so order replacements and have them ready.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

any tips on how to take them out?
          if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Comment

Originally posted by soccersteve
            Press or knock them out from the opposite side, going through the center to hit the inside lip of the one on the far side.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by soccersteve
              i took mine to a shop and they pressed them out. i didn't want to mess
              up the bearing seats. get them ordered (bearings) i'm still waiting for mine to come in. - ordered last monday.

tim

Comment

Hey Trinc, how much did they charge you to remove and replace the bearings?
                AMA member # 224227

Comment

Dude, do it yourself!!! Won't cost anything and if you take your time, you won't hurt anything. Use a punch and a small ballpeen hammer, carefully work your way arounf the inner race and they will come right out. You only bugger up the seat if you try and hammer one side out without working around the whole bearing. I've replaced tons and have never screwed up a rim (though my rear rim on the Gix had been before I bought it).
                  sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
                  MSF Rider Coach 27028
                  MoPowerSports.com
                  Torco
                  SoCalTrackDays

Comment

Originally posted by Meikol2
                    Hey Trinc, how much did they charge you to remove and replace the bearings?
                    i'm buying a new set of tires from them - so wheel & deal on price.
                    i paid $12 to check runout then have them pulled - they'll go in free
                    as part of the tire install.

tim

Comment

Working...
                    X