X

Wet and Wild with Metzeler Z6s'

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet and Wild with Metzeler Z6s'

Well i have about a thousand miles on the upgrade and "tlc" i needed but tonight i really pushed the Metzelers Z6 Roadtecs. i went to a 160/70/17 this time and i went up 2 on the rear sprocket so it didn't mess up my ratios at all (taller tire and gears equalled out) in the last couple of days i had pushed all over the edges (no chicken strips here) but tnight on the way home i really think they saved me.

i got out of work about 930p right as a severe thunderstorm warning was issued. there had been some heat lighting for the last half hour but i was 25 minutes from home and dicided to get a move, rather than wait it out. those of you that live in florida can vouche for me on this. 9 out 10 times these warnings are for some charlie brown cloud rolling through.

WRONG!!!!

10 minutes in the sky opened up. i was riding in full gear and had 10" Rocky paratrooper boots on (100% leather, prolly saved my ankle but i'll get to that) i'm talkin' inches of rain per hour. cars with their 4-ways on doing like 25 in a 40 F-in RAINING

i had no loss of feeling to the road and even in turn the bike felt solid as ever. i actually started to carry speed without realizing it and then came the "Oh $h1T"

the road i live off of is a two lane, twisty, hilly road that at some spots is at the same level of the river (st.johns) as i dropped down into one of these hollows with very bad visablity and about 35-40 mph I hit a MONSTER puddle. This was CHAOS. Water went over the bike, ripped my feet off the pegs almost breaking my shifter side because it dug in (toe down) i slowed to about 20 and realized the bike was tracking!!!

those damn metzelers were parting the water like moses at the red sea. i actually accellorated back up and out of it.

i'm not at all condoning riding in seriously bad weather or trying to float your Kat but from the first drops, through the wash outs and all the way home, no matter how stupid I was those Z6's stuck to the road. and thier even better dry, 1up or 2. I won't run another tire.

p.s. this was definately not a case of superior judgement or skill, but kick a$$ equiptment.
    "A Superior Rider is one that stays of trouble by using his Superior Judgement to avoid situations that my require his Superior Skill."

note to self, order metzler z6's next replacement
    Live and Lean.
    When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
    "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
    Romans 3:23

Comment

just an update--i just saw that jacksonville got 3-5 inches of rain in 2 hours! Sunshine state my @$$...
      "A Superior Rider is one that stays of trouble by using his Superior Judgement to avoid situations that my require his Superior Skill."

Comment

Re: Wet and Wild with Metzeler M6s'

Originally posted by NavyKat
        ...Metzelers M6 Roadtecs... i went to a 160/70/17 this time and i went up 2 on the rear sprocket so it didn't mess up my ratios at all (taller tire and gears equalled out)
        You mean Z6 not M6 (Metzeler makes an M3 and used to make an M1, but never made an M6).

As for the sprocket/tire size compensation, make sure you measure the tire itself -- I know their Z6 in a 150/70ZR17 is in reality a 159/61ZR17 if you measure it. I have no clue what their 160/70ZR17 is in reality, but I'm willing to bet dollars-to-donuts that it's significantly off of being an exact 160/70...

p.s. this was definately not a case of superior judgement or skill, but kick a$$ equiptment.
        Definitely! I love 'em... And this kind of thing is part of why I endorse them so highly (I live here in Florida as well).

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Re: Wet and Wild with Metzeler M6s'

those damn metzelers were parting the water like moses at the red sea. i actually accellorated back up and out of it.
          Now THAT is a great analogy ! :
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
          X