X

Right Left side of the wheel?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right Left side of the wheel?

How do you tell which is the left and right side of the wheel? I didnt really know there was a difference until i started reading about changing tires and the were saying make sure you get the directional arrow going the right way.

Well... if you are talking about the rear, the sprocket and brake rotor will help you with the rim. The front on a pre-98 you can look at the direction of the spokes for guidance.

If you have a 98+, and you are talking about the front wheel, I don't know. Don't know if it matters either.

NOW, if we are talking about tires.... there is a directional arrow on the sidewall of the tire. Make sure it points in the direction of when you are riding down the street.

Hope this helps. If I am way off... please let me know.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
    who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Draw a small arrow on it somewhewre BEFORE you take the thing off .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Yeah I guess I shoulda been more specific, its the front of a 94 600. I took the tire off before marking, bein this is my first one and all I just noticed that the tire had an arrow on it after I had it off. I knew cars had directional tire sometimes.

Comment

Just look at the direction of the swept spokes. Match them up with the rear.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
          who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Originally posted by KatMan94
            Yeah I guess I shoulda been more specific, its the front of a 94 600. .
            On the front of a pre 98:
            The left side (as sitting on the bike)
            Has a larger "bearing" area for the speedo pick up.
            The right side (sitting on the bike) is plain, that's where the spacer goes.

Comment

I also noticed that all the factory numbers are on the same size now that I look at them.

Comment

Originally posted by KatMan94
                I knew cars had directional tire sometimes.
                All radial tires for motorcycles are direction-specific. There are very limited cases where they may get mounted in reverse (using a radial designed as a front tire for a larger bike as the rear tire of a much smaller bike is the only instance that I'm aware of).

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

If I remember correctly there was an arrow cast into one of the spokes on the wheel to indicate direction of rotation. You can only put the wheel on one way and had it rotate in the correct direction.

Comment

Working...
                  X