X

Tires Sizes and Brands

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires Sizes and Brands

Hi Everyone, I'm so glad I found this board. . .I had a pretty bitter taste in my mouth after the stuff that had gone down on KP and pretty much gave up on that site. Anyway, my question is this. I've finally put enough miles on my bike to warrant some new tires, and want to get a new front and back for my 1999 Kat 750. Obviously I know the standard size of the OEM tires, but I've heard great things about Diablos, and am wondering what the best sizes and actual Diablo style is the best?? I figure I will order them now, and when it gets warm enough have the shop put em on. Thanks for your help. I'm also open to suggestions of other tires too, let me know.

You can get the diablos in the same size as your stock tires. They are a great tire from what I have been told. Also you can run Metz M-1 sporttechs, M6's, Michilien Pilot Sport, Dunlops. No matter what tire you get in those brands you will be happy with. I know dunlop as a tire fitment guide and it will list the tires available for your bike.

As for the size you should get you can go to a 160/60 on the rear safely and a 120/60 on the front safely. With those sizes you have a lot more tire options. That is all I can help you with.
    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Im not a rubber god either, but I know all the brands 2020 mentioned work great on kats !!! Personally, I like the pilots and metz sports.

Comment

I just got metz m1s 120 f and 160r and cant wait to get my cast off so I can ride on them
        Big Cory
        SBFMC 707
        2005 Hayabusa

Comment

I went from the stock Maccodams to the Pirelli Diablo’s last year. Talk about a HUGE difference!!! I love em.
          I don't need a girlfriend... Windows goes down on me everyday!

Comment

Pilot Powers Baby!!!! Glue from the get-go and great wet weather stick
            sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
            MSF Rider Coach 27028
            MoPowerSports.com
            Torco
            SoCalTrackDays

Comment

Originally posted by KitKat
              I went from the stock Maccodams to the Pirelli Diablo’s last year. Talk about a HUGE difference!!! I love em.

Same general upgrade results.
              AMA member # 224227

Comment

Cyberpoet will tell you that the Metz M-6 is the way to go for all around performance and I for one am going to try them as my next set of tires. 120 front 160 rear
                TDA Racing/Motorsports
                1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                Who knows what is next?
                Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
                  Cyberpoet will tell you that the Metz M-6 is the way to go for all around performance and I for one am going to try them as my next set of tires. 120 front 160 rear
                  Actually, what I'll tell you is this:
                  For commuting, long-haul touring, high-speed interstate travel and wet-weather riding, the Metzeler Z4's are the best tires I've tried on the 98+ Kats and what I ride daily. The Metzeler Z6 Roadtech is the slot-in replacement for the Z4, and is said to give both marginally better grip in dry, significantly better grip in wet and marginally longer lifespan than the Z4's, but I haven't ridden them brand new for myself yet because the last time I bought tires, the Z6's were a week away from their US ship-date (I didn't know they were a week away -- I just knew they weren't to be found yet). I trust Metzelers explicitly and if they say they are marginally better, then they would be the best tire on the market for this purpose for our late model kats.

For canyon carving, especially in dry climates, the Pirelli Diablo's are the best tire I've tried on the 98+ Kats. They increase the grabbiness on dry surfaces over the Metzeler Z4/Z6, but give up a bit of grip in the wet (rain, standing water, damp roads), so it's a trade-off that easily matched to your location and riding style. They also don't last quite as long (the Metzeler's Z4/Z6 should last about 25 - 35% longer).

There are more aggressive (stickier but faster-wearing) tires available (such as Metzeler's M1's, Michelin's Trackday tires, and Pirelli Diablo Corsa's), but unless you are doing track days or literally ride most of the time with your knee (& shoulder) to the ground, you're not going to ever overcome the above tires' traction and grip on a late model Katana.

Unlike most of the riders here (all the riders here?), I went out and bought a whole bunch of different tires at the same time and tested them new vs. new for between 500 and 1000 miles each, back-to-back. The tires I tried included the Macadams, the Diablos, Dunlop 205/207's, Metzeler's Z4's, plus loaners of other people's Kats with Bridgestones (BT) & with Avons. The above conclusions are what I came to. Next time out, I will probably try a new set of Z4's against a new set of Z6's, and maybe toss in some other brands that weren't covered before.

Funny thing is, a couple months after I released my late-model kat tire comparo, MCN did their tire comparo, and their point assignments pretty much matched what I had to say.

Or you could do your own tire comparo... simply order up a bunch of tires, make a deal with a local shop to provide cheap tire mountings since you're effectively doing it every week or two for several months on end, and sell your used tires on eBay like I did...

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

See, I should start telling people to hunt you down Cyber/ the tire God j/k
                    TDA Racing/Motorsports
                    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                    Who knows what is next?
                    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

If only I could find some Diablos or Z6's in a 150 ...
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                        They make the Z6 in a 150 , I had them on my Kat. They aren't too hard to find.

Comment

Originally posted by Junior
                          Guess I'll look around again .... I REALLY wanted some Diablos though after hearing AHF and Cyber talking about them . Guess I'll just settle for the Z6's .
                          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by Junior
                            Guess I'll look around again .... I REALLY wanted some Diablos though after hearing AHF and Cyber talking about them . Guess I'll just settle for the Z6's .
                            I can't tell you what the Diablo's are like until I pick up my bike next month , but I was thoroughly impressed with the Z6's. Great traction in dry and wet conditions. They didn't slip on me once. They treated me very well in the twisties at the Gap last summer.

I'd recommend them. Plus, I'm pretty sure they'd outlast the Diablo's by 2000 miles.

Comment

Metzeler Z6 have been nothing but awesome for me. Got stuck in 2 severe rain storms and they were absolutely great. Lots of highway miles on them, and lots of miles on the dragon. Definitely my next choice for tires
                              Some people are a lot like Slinkys.
                              Not really good for anything, but bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Working...
                              X