X

Deal on '98 wheels, tires, rotors?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deal on '98 wheels, tires, rotors?

Before I get flamed for asking "Is this a good deal?" let me give you some background info. I bought my 95 Kat 600 a month ago and it is the first bike I have ever owned or worked on. I know automobile parts prices, but I am pretty clueless to what used bike parts go for. Well anyways, my question is: Is $275 a good deal on front and rear wheels, tires, and rotors off of a '98 kat 600? From the description, the tires have %60-75 left, and the wheels and rotors are in very good condition. Also, the wheels have an aluminum finish. Thanks ahead of time for the input.

Re: Deal on '98 wheels, tires, rotors?

Originally posted by kaibigan
    Before I get flamed for asking "Is this a good deal?" let me give you some background info. I bought my 95 Kat 600 a month ago and it is the first bike I have ever owned or worked on. I know automobile parts prices, but I am pretty clueless to what used bike parts go for. Well anyways, my question is: Is $275 a good deal on front and rear wheels, tires, and rotors off of a '98 kat 600? From the description, the tires have %60-75 left, and the wheels and rotors are in very good condition. Also, the wheels have an aluminum finish. Thanks ahead of time for the input.
    It's a very good deal.
    Figure the wheels are worth $70 - $100 each, used, in reasonable condition (ebay pricing). The tires are worth $50 each with 60% left (brand plays into it). That means the rotors are tossed in effectively for free. Go for it!

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Accidental duplicate... Sorry
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Geez, I heard you the first time...j/k Thanks a lot for the info Cyberpoet. Now its time to get rid of these ugly stock purple wheels

Comment

Welcome to KR!

Now down to biz.

You know you can paint them if it just the color you don't like. Or Polish the lips and paint the spokes, or even have them Chromed.

Point is if it is just aesthetics, you have lots of options.

You will also find Cyber to be quite helpful.
          AMA member # 224227

Comment

The big thing is that you can run 120/60 160/60 combonation safely. Those rims will give you more tire choices too. The front rim will be a 3.5 and the rear rim a 4.0 or a 4.5. They will bolt right up. I have my stock 89 wheels with 98+ rotors on them. But yeah go for it. They are worth more than that.
            www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Doh! I wasn't even thinking about the tire width issue. I was focused on the color statement.

Good call HS2020.
              AMA member # 224227

Comment

Just so you know, you may have some issues with the front tire rubbing inside the front fender. I am running a set of later model wheels on my 91 and my front tire did rub. They both bolt right up with no problems and the front even has the speedo drive provision. I paid $200 for mine plus the swingarm and linkage.

Ron
                MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Originally posted by meanstrk
                  Just so you know, you may have some issues with the front tire rubbing inside the front fender. I am running a set of later model wheels on my 91 and my front tire did rub. They both bolt right up with no problems and the front even has the speedo drive provision. I paid $200 for mine plus the swingarm and linkage.
                  Q: Which tire size/brand/make are you using on the front that is "rubbing"? I'd like to add a note about it to the book.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Dunlop D207F. Size 120/70-17. It is what was on the wheel when I got the set. I will more than likely be going with a 120/60-17 when I return from Iraq, but I don't know how those will fit in there. I actually let the tire scrub in and then cut reliefs in the fender. It only rubs where the fender narrows inside the forks and then slightly to the rear of that area. Other than that it goes in with no issues. I WILL note that the steering was slowed down a bit with these wheels and tires, BUT once leaned over, it is more stable and will hold a line literaly without hands on if desired. It just takes a bit more effort to transition.
                    Ron
                    MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Working...
                    X