Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Static Wheel balancing (pics included, not dial up friendly)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Static Wheel balancing (pics included, not dial up friendly)

Wheel balancing is a subject that comes up every now and again. I did mine today and snapped a few pics of the process.

Unless you have a high $$$ electronic balancing machine, the balancing you'll do in your garage is called "static balancing". Static=stationary...as in not moving. Static balancing does not involve spinning the wheel. It's not the best way to balance a rotating object, but it can get you pretty close and any trip to an AMA event pits will show you that it's good enough for even the biggest of race teams.

There are many different options for balance fixtures. Commercial units are available, you can build them yourself, I've even seen it done with just the axle and a pair of jack stands. I bought my arbor and bearings off Ebay. All that really matters is the wheel turns freely and your mounts are level and square. My blocks look crude, but I checked them with a level before I started, and they're good enough for my purposes.

Disclaimer: there are many ways to do this. I don't claim that my way is the only way, or the best way. It is simply the way I do it. I'm no expert on the subject, but I do have experience static balancing aircraft propellers and dynamic balancing various rotating assemblies for turbine (jet) aircraft engines.

Step 1: Mount the wheel on your balance stand.

Step 2: Find and mark the light spot

Once you have placed the wheel on the stand it will rotate itself so the heavy side is down. Place a mark on the light side of the wheel with a tire pen or similar

Step 3: Make a small ball of clay (Play-doh is what I'm using here) and stick it to the wheel at the light spot you've marked

Step 4: Turn the wheel 90 degrees and let go. If the wheel turns so the clay moves upwards, add more clay to the ball. If the clay moves downwards, remove some. Repeat this until the wheel will sit motionless with the clay at the side.

Varify that you've acheived the weight required to balance the wheel by turning it to different positions and releasing. If you've got it right, the wheel should remain motionless wherever you position it.

Step 5: Remove the clay ball and place it on your postage scale. Cut a stick-on weight to the same value (my scale is reading grams in these pics)

Step 6: After cleaning any residue off the wheel, stick the weight in the same place as you had stuck the clay ball.

Step 7: Double check the balance by positioning the wheel in a few different spots and verifying that it remains stationary.

That's all there is too it. It only takes a few minutes to balance each wheel.

BTW, you can balance your wheels with the brake disks attached. I didn't do it for this example but you may want to.
    I like you. When the world is mine your death will be quick and painless.

Good write up Mark. I wondered how you could do that home. I would like to start doing my own like that. This give you the freedom to rebalance your wheel when ever you want. Now I did notice that you didn't mention TIRE PRESSURE. Would this not be an issue like it is on car/truck tires? Just asking thats all.

Cool. did not know you did that. I know aircraft wheels are a pain in the arse to do at times. Especially C-130 tires.
    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Originally posted by Highsight2020
      Now I did notice that you didn't mention TIRE PRESSURE. Would this not be an issue like it is on car/truck tires? Just asking thats all.
      This is just a write up for balancing, not mounting. I would assume that at this stage one would already have set the tire pressures to whatever value they plan to ride with.

Comment

Thats cool. Thought I would put that in there just in case anyone was wondering. Still a great write up. I know where I can get some blocks too. They are building houses behind me
        www.mopowersports.com

Comment

If you are looking for a balancing arbor check out http://www.marcparnes.com/.

Comment

Thanks TZ. Not bad price either and it will pay for itself in due time too.
            www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Just one note to add to this thread for those not in the know:

Many brands of tires ship with a colored dot on the sidewall. Align this with the valve stem when mounting the tires. The dot means the tire is balanced at the factory (to some degree or other) so that the balancing is only fine-tuning and balance for discrepancies in the weight of the actual wheel and valve assemblies.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet

Many brands of tires ship with a colored dot on the sidewall. Align this with the valve stem when mounting the tires. The dot means the tire is balanced at the factory (to some degree or other) so that the balancing is only fine-tuning and balance for discrepancies in the weight of the actual wheel and valve assemblies.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Note the two red dots and their proximity to the valve stem.

Comment

that's awesome, would definately save some cash too

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    I learned something new today!!
                    DON'T HATE THE PLAYA, HATE THE GAME!!

Comment

great write up and you just saved me $1500 for a balancer! Now all I have to do is get one of those scales.
                      TDA Racing/Motorsports
                      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                      Who knows what is next?
                      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Working...
                      X