X

Making the Kat more nimble?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making the Kat more nimble?

I have a 2000 750 Kat and I have been riding more and more mountian roads. I want to make here handle better. But here is the issue I have the money to buy the needed parts, but do not want to give up the stability to ride two up with my wife. What are some mods I could make to improve turn in and such???

Thanks for the help

Zack

Check out www.Atozhometheater.com

Tires come to mind first. What are you running now? Then I would consider some suspension upgrades, like emulators and a better rear shock with more adjustability.
    AMA member # 224227

Comment

SV rear shock, like Meikol said " emulators". add springs to front for your weight from Race Tech and that will work. Then fine tune it one adjustment at a time with the wife on it.
      TDA Racing/Motorsports
      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
      Who knows what is next?
      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Tires and suspension are the keys to better handling. Are you running stock tires on your Kat now ? Steering damper is nice cheap mod too, that you'll notice does alot for you.

Comment

What stablizer do you have Need?
          TDA Racing/Motorsports
          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
          Who knows what is next?
          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!

Comment

How about Gixxer forks?
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

The tire size are stock on the bike. How much is a steering dampener <--- sp What kind do I get? is it diff to put on? Thanks guys.

Check out www.Atozhometheater.com

Comment

Track days and racing schools.

Comment

Dog bone mod will make the front end turn quicker.
                  Bike is sold

Comment

The single most important component to handling is tires. Good tires -- brand & design, not size -- Pirelli Diablo's for railing canyons in the closest-to-stock size is the best choice I've found, testing 5 different types of tires new back-to-back. Try that first, and then decide if you need to do anything else -- my guess is the difference will be so night-and-day that you'll be quite satisfied.

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Hey Cyber, how are the Diablos with wet weather traction? I hear so much good about them, my only concern would be with the wet traction.
                      Kan-O-Gixxer!
                      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                      -Ohlins Susupension
                      -Various Other Mods

Comment

Tires made a big difference, but like spedee said, the dog bone mod made a rather large positive difference in "flickability" for me.

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                          Hey Cyber, how are the Diablos with wet weather traction? I hear so much good about them, my only concern would be with the wet traction.
                          I live in Florida (home of the summer rainy season) and ride Metzelers because of it. The Pirelli's are decent in the rain, but the Metzelers are infinitely better in the wet, and I haven't found a time that they let me down while railing (including at the rally last year -- where they already had like 5k miles on them when I arrived).

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I have the Dunlop 208's on my bike. What do you think of them, Cyber?
                            So far they have been great here in Arizona. I ran them in the rain today but due to traffic I didn't get the chance to test them.
                            TDA Racing/Motorsports
                            Who knows what is next?

Comment

Cyber, what Metzlers are you running? I need to order new tires before winter, and would like something as you describe, good railing grip, and good traction in wet weather.
                              Kan-O-Gixxer!
                              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                              -Ohlins Susupension
                              -Various Other Mods

Comment

Working...
                              X