X

Squeaky brakes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeaky brakes

I just got new brakes and break lines, new brake fluid, put on my Kat, and now, right at the end of my deceleration (right before the bike comes to a full stop) while moderately breaking, I get a squeak for a second or two. Is this normal, and will it go away? This is my first new set of brakes, So I'm not sure what to expect

Thanks,
    Crackshot

i would assume thats normal till they brake in

Comment

Your rotors need to be cleaned. Sounds like you got new pads without cleaning the old pad residue off the rotors... Get emory cloth (or scotch-brite) and acetone and go to town scrubbing them down.
      -Steve

Comment

Re: Squeaky brakes

Originally posted by Crackshot
        I get a squeak for a second or two. Is this normal, and will it go away? This is my first new set of brakes, So I'm not sure what to expect
        When you installed the new brakes, did you clean the pins they ride on real well?

Brake squeal is caused by high speed vibration between two metal parts -- the deeper the squeal, the bigger the part vibrating and less vibrational frequency; the higher the squeal, the smaller the part. Usually, it's the pads' backing plate vibrating (skipping back and forth real fast) on the carrier pins it rides on, but it can also be the pad backing vibrating against the caliper pistons, or even the pad surface vibrating against the rotors (as StevenMD implied) until they finish seating properly.
        Cleaning the rotors is always very wise, and may cure it, but my guess is even after cleaning, you may still find the noise there.

Q: When you redid your brakes, did you rebuild your calipers and clean your carrier pins throughly?

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

BRAKES???you dont need them!thats what feet are for.lol i agree clean off the rotors

Comment

Just had the same experiece as well, new pads (EBC HH) sqeaky as hell, guess i'm a poet and didn't know it no really thanks to the info from the CP. CLEAN your pins.

Comment

Its a good idea to do those rotors periodically as steve mentioned. I had to scrub them right after I put on my new pads on the rear last fall I think it was..and I'll probably do it again before the rally in July.

Comment

That's amazing. I was going to post the same issue. I didn't clean my rotors/pins after my break job. They squeak loud/long as hell. The harder I apply the break the more they'll squeak. I would have never thought to clean the pins.

Can I clean the pins with emory cloth and acetone as well? Is it just any ol' acetone or is there a special kind/brand I ask for? Where can you get emory cloths. I've never heard of one.

Comment

Originally posted by Looneybonics
                  Can I clean the pins with emory cloth and acetone as well? Is it just any ol' acetone or is there a special kind/brand I ask for? Where can you get emory cloths. I've never heard of one.
                  Emory cloth is available at any auto parts store or most hardware stores -- it's just a special type of sand paper on a fabric backing instead of a paper backing (so it fits around non-flat surfaces better). You can even use green scotchbrite pads -- old kitchen sponges with scotchbrite on the back work just fine and make a secondary use for them instead of throwing them out.

Acetone should work; I normally just use spray brake cleaner.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Right on. Thanks CP!

Comment

Working...
                    X