X

Rear Shock

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Shock

My rear shock needs replacing, and being a poor student, I am quite skint haha.
    So would a rear shock off any pre kat fit my pre 600? not looking to improve the suspension so looking to stick with a gsxf shock. Shocks are a pain here in the UK, I can't afford a Ģ350 shock

Any body think this is ok?

Thank you very much!
    1992 Gsx600f

Any pre shock (89-97) should be a direct fit, so yes that one will fit. Seems expensive though.
    Also, I've never seen one with a blue spring - maybe it's a european thing? Spring might also have been swapped to match the riders weight.

I know for the 98+ bikes the 750 and 600 shock are directly swappable. I'm not 100% certain if the 98+ will fit the pre bikes but I think they do. If they do, I'd recommend seeing if you can get ahold of a 750 shock off a 98+ bike. Better shock to begin with, it'll be way newer, and best of all it's rebuildable. When you can afford to, rebuilding it really makes a difference. If those are selling for too much, and the 98+ shocks fit (again I'm pretty sure just not 100%) I'd look into the newest 600 possible. Any used shock is going to have seen better days so the less use and abuse the better.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by Grittiy View Post
      My rear shock needs replacing, and being a poor student, I am quite skint haha.
      So would a rear shock off any pre kat fit my pre 600? not looking to improve the suspension so looking to stick with a gsxf shock. Shocks are a pain here in the UK, I can't afford a Ģ350 shock

Any body think this is ok?

Thank you very much!
      Wouldnīt pay that for a shock way to dear matey
      I picked up a 02 busa shock for half that price length 330mm
      Measure your shock ctc the one off my 750 was 295mm iīd offer you this one but doesnīt look in the best of shape
      The best fits are the 08 R6 but these arenīt cheap over here
      Not sure why the early R6 doesnīt fit as there 295mm may be someone could answer this

Where in the uk are you

Comment

Ah thank you for the info Would a ZX9R 1999 C1 suspension fit? my dad has that bike and said he can probably get hold of one, I think they're 330mm? I'm from sunny Shropshire haha
        1992 Gsx600f

Comment

Ah thank you for the info Would a ZX9R 1999 C1 suspension fit? my dad has that bike and said he can probably get hold of one, I think they're 330mm? I'm from sunny Shropshire haha
          Its all about the mounting holes a 330mm shock would fit as that is the same size as the busa
          Youīll also may have to move the battery box if fitting a busa youīd have to move the box back about 2in

A bandit 12 shock is also 330mm i think but iīll check that
          Iīll find the list i posted of shock sizes this should help you

hereīs the link to shock sizes

Everything from the best brake pads to use, installing new brake lines,
          swing arm swaps, adjusting your suspension or rebuilding your forks.
          Everything you need to know on those topics and so much more is here.
          Last edited by alpine; 08-30-2014, 12:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Found a few Bandit 12's on ebay for about Ģ60-Ģ80, most of them are the 2000's which are 306mm, 6mm difference is good as i'm rather short lol, would the bandit suspension slip straight in or would some adjustments be likely?
            1992 Gsx600f

Comment

Found a few Bandit 12's on ebay for about Ģ60-Ģ80, most of them are the 2000's which are 306mm, 6mm difference is good as i'm rather short lol, would the bandit suspension slip straight in or would some adjustments be likely?
              The guide says bottom knuckle needs modding my guess from that is youīll need a sleeve for the bolt

Here is the guide list

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
              mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

Comment

98+ stock shock(floxera)
                Notes:
                "bolts right in"
                Remote fluid res.
                Geared for Kat weight.

So the best bet is a gsxf 98+ suspension?
                very useful thank you as I would prefer the height to remain the same as it's perfect, and a suspension that bolts right in definitely preferable
                1992 Gsx600f

Comment

FYI it's only the 98+ 750 suspension that has the remote reservior, the 600 does not. Either one will definitely be easier than a bandit or R6 shock.
                  1998 Katana 750
                  1992 Katana 1100
                  2006 Ninja 250

Comment

ooh which of the 2 would you recommend? Thank you very much, both of you for helping me still learning about the mechanical side of the lovely Kats.
                    1992 Gsx600f

Comment

ooh which of the 2 would you recommend? Thank you very much, both of you for helping me still learning about the mechanical side of the lovely Kats.
                      Had a quick look on the bay this morning there are a couple of pre 98 750 shocks on at 60 quid donīt look in bad nick but with buying a pre shock it could be off the early models and be near it end of life as shpielers has said earlier so that a chance you take neither say what year they came off

If you want an easy fit these would be ok

Comment

I'd recommend the 750, and a 98+ if possible. The 98+ 750 is the only one that is rebuildable. As an insurance thing, even if you get something that's near end of life, get it rebuilt and it'll be like new. Labor for that is usually ~120 around here, not sure what it would run in your area. If you get one that's fine and doesn't need a rebuild now, maybe it will 5 years down the road.
                        Also, the 750 has more adjustability.
                        I swapped the shock on my 600 for one off a 750 - it's also been rebuilt/resprung/revalved (not cheap, ~$400) but holy crap what a difference it makes. I know others that put in the same shock without all the extra work done to it were happy as well.
                        1998 Katana 750
                        1992 Katana 1100
                        2006 Ninja 250

Comment

The r6 is easy, you will need a bushing for the lower mount. It will drop the rear by 3/4" so you will have to drop the front with it. B12 will raise the rear by 1.5", if I'm remembering right.
                          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran
                          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Did u fit the 750 shock to your bike in the end? I'm watching a couple on ebay at the moment.
                            Rebuild will cost 110 including return postage unless it need a rod. Then it's an extra 60.

Comment

Sorry guys, I completely forgot about the forum haha, I moved house.
                              In the end it just needed some tlc and was taken apart and rebuilt, such a big difference with the handling since then, handles like a beaut around bends as well
                              1992 Gsx600f

Comment

Working...
                              X