No announcement yet.
X

Did I do it wrong?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does it feel more like a pogo stick? You say bouncing on acceleration so you are unloading the front. Do you feel it between gear changes? What does it feel like when you encounter pot holes or bumps?

Did you try #3 on the adjuster? Did it make it better or worse?

Tmod

Comment

Yeah, something similar to a pogo stick. It only happens during acceleration and cruise. During deceleration, braking, riding over bumps, etc, it feels normal. I made sure everything was lined up correctly on the top of the forks, and I specifically remember when putting them back together that the dampening rode only fits one way correctly, and we got both of them in that way. The thing is, it feels really good riding over bumps and such, way better than it did before. I would try capturing a video with my GoPro, but I don't think it's noticeable enough that the camera would catch it. It's just a constant up and down motion, what I would equate to something riding on springs with no shock or a worn out shock.

I know this is going to sound crazy, but I have to throw this out there. I know my chain needs to be changed. It's been stretching lately. I have a new chain arriving today or tomorrow and I've got new sprockets sitting on the workbench waiting for the chain. Is it possible there's enough play in the chain that it would cause that? I guess it's also possible I threw a wheel weight... Any other ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Moto_Geek View Post
        Yeah, something similar to a pogo stick. It only happens during acceleration and cruise. During deceleration, braking, riding over bumps, etc, it feels normal. I made sure everything was lined up correctly on the top of the forks, and I specifically remember when putting them back together that the dampening rode only fits one way correctly, and we got both of them in that way. The thing is, it feels really good riding over bumps and such, way better than it did before. I would try capturing a video with my GoPro, but I don't think it's noticeable enough that the camera would catch it. It's just a constant up and down motion, what I would equate to something riding on springs with no shock or a worn out shock.

I know this is going to sound crazy, but I have to throw this out there. I know my chain needs to be changed. It's been stretching lately. I have a new chain arriving today or tomorrow and I've got new sprockets sitting on the workbench waiting for the chain. Is it possible there's enough play in the chain that it would cause that? I guess it's also possible I threw a wheel weight... Any other ideas?
        Push the front tire up against a wall and have someone hold the rear so the bike will not fall over, Push with all your weight on the center of the triple clamp and let go. Does the bike oscillate up and down a time or two before it settles or does it just pop back up and settle? Also if you have a front stand it makes it easier as you don't need a wall or a friend.

Tmod

Comment

Tmod,

I did as you suggested. The front rebounds up and stays. There is no oscillation other than the initial rebound.

MG

Comment

Case Closed

Unless anyone has anything to add, I'm going to call this case closed. Finished up the new chain and sprockets today, and the bike is riding as smooth as butter.

Comment

Unless anyone has anything to add, I'm going to call this case closed. Finished up the new chain and sprockets today, and the bike is riding as smooth as butter.

So you think it was a jerky chain issue that was causing the front to feel like it was bouncy?

krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

It must have been

Krey,

I don't pretend to know much about this stuff, I'm just trying to learn as I go. However, I changed out the chain and sprockets and it rides tight and clean now. The old front sprocket is pretty worn the teeth are arched a little, and the old chain pretty stretched, so I guess I would say "yes". I went on two 20 minute shakedown rides yesterday after finishing the chain. Absolutely no bounce, absolutely no issues. All I can say is I didn't touch anything else, so what else could it have been?

The master link rivets still look good and the master link is still in line with the others. I will continue to keep my eye on it, make it a part of my regular pre-ride inspection process.

Also, again, just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone who's responded in any of my threads. I know these bike aren't fast compared to others, but I love riding mine, and I'm learning to love wrenching on it as well. I've received tons of help here, and poured through tons of threads for ideas, improvements, and the like.

MG

Comment

Krey,

I don't pretend to know much about this stuff, I'm just trying to learn as I go. However, I changed out the chain and sprockets and it rides tight and clean now. The old front sprocket is pretty worn the teeth are arched a little, and the old chain pretty stretched, so I guess I would say "yes". I went on two 20 minute shakedown rides yesterday after finishing the chain. Absolutely no bounce, absolutely no issues. All I can say is I didn't touch anything else, so what else could it have been?

The master link rivets still look good and the master link is still in line with the others. I will continue to keep my eye on it, make it a part of my regular pre-ride inspection process.

Also, again, just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone who's responded in any of my threads. I know these bike aren't fast compared to others, but I love riding mine, and I'm learning to love wrenching on it as well. I've received tons of help here, and poured through tons of threads for ideas, improvements, and the like.

MG

The conclusion makes sense that was the issue.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                  X