X

Brainstorming

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brainstorming

Was offered a complete haybusa front end earlier today, at a really great price. Now the questions, that everyone can possibly put input on.

I have measured the steering stem and I think it can be swapped over , by pressing out the 89-97 stem and swapping into the busa triple.

The problem I am trying to work through is speedo hookup.

Measuring the front wheel mount there is no room for a traditional speedo pick up.

1. Has anyone ever converted a pre 98 to the sensor type pick up, or attempted it? If so what problems did you encounter?

2. Anyone have another suggestion as a work around?

The reason I am working so hard on this one, is I can pick up the entire front end for less than 250 bucks total. This is everything on the front forks. I may end up grabbing it to resell, but would really like to figure out a way to make it work.
    One project done, now on to the next few!!
    Explanation to girlfriend," I could be blowing time and money on strippers and booze!!!"

"Ahhh! The bliss of retirement and being broke all at the same time!!"

I think the 98+ speedo conversion is the way to go..
    Doesn't seem like it should be hard...

how many times has that
    gotten me into trouble??

Comment

Pre-98? If you can't get a cable up from a gear drive on the front wheel, it spells lots of hassle -- it means redoing the whole speedo set-up (to take an electronic signal), and that usually means a whole new dash set-up to support the new speedo. Plus adding a sensor somewhere at the output end of the tranny or rear wheel (such as a magnet & hall sensor on the rear brake rotor), plus a converter box to modify the signal frequency to something that is correct in terms of what the speedo is expecting.

I have a VDO solution for you, but it taint cheap and it's not an all-weather/open-cockpit type gauge the way the oil temp/voltage gauges I sell are.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

speedo schmeedo just take the dayum thing off

Comment

Welp, did some comparisons on part numbers for 98+ kats and busa, speedometer components. The rotors and the pickups are intechangeable. Ron Ayers list ome as being discontinued, gonna call the local dealership tomorros, and see if some of the discontinued have a part number that crosses over.

Now to do a tear apart or get some photos and see if there is a way to retrofit the rotors, and see if the covers interchange, if these two problems work out it will be a breeze to do this swap.

Will keep everyone posted as I find out more info.
          Explanation to girlfriend," I could be blowing time and money on strippers and booze!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Micdalen
            Ron Ayers list ome as being discontinued...
            Normally, if RonAyers list a discontinued item, they also list the replacement sku -- unless they still have some in stock of the old one.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Okay does anyone have a 98+ sprocket cover with the sensor and a speed rotor, that I can use for test fitting and figuring this out.

Comment

Originally posted by Micdalen
                Okay does anyone have a 98+ sprocket cover with the sensor and a speed rotor, that I can use for test fitting and figuring this out.
                Try sending a PM to BraadaJim, who took all of SpecialK's inventory... if he doesn't have a spare he's willing to sell or rent cheap, I doubt you're likely to find anyone else who does.

Good Luck!

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

By the time I get around to the time of night for me to sit down and post, I am essentially brain dead. Thanks CP. Will drop him a PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X