X

rotor removal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rotor removal

Has anybody removed a brake rotor off a pre 98 front wheel? I am trying but can't get the bolts to move. Any suggestions?

have you tried spraying the bolts down with a penatrating lubricant? WD-40 or something like it?
    I don't know how fast my bike goes, I've never stopped to find out.

Comment

if you cant get it make sure you clean them off good before you go ridding.

Comment

Usually, rotor bolts are installed with loctite. As a result, they need a hard, sudden impact to snap the loctite bond loose, such as from an impact driver or impact tool. Simply increasing pressure on the wrench will not loosen them... If you have an impact driver, use it. If you don't have an impact driver, go buy one (under $20 at most auto parts stores).

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Another way is to apply the "shock"
          using something like this:

Fit the key into the screw securly and give it a wack. Like you were driving a nail.

The other thing that breaks loc-tite is heat.
          To avoid damaging paint, rotors, surounding parts.
          you can apply the heat to the hex key and let the hex key heat the screw.. Useing a torch..

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think it's about time I buy an impact driver anyway.

Comment

If you get one..
              Get an "impact" rated 1/2 to 1/4 adapter.
              (you may need to get a 1/2 to 3/8 and 3/8 to 1/4)
              But this will open up the options.

Comment

If you have to whale on it, impacting could damage the socket-heat screws that hold the rotor on.

The standard way to loosen screws/bolts installed with loc-tite is to heat them up first. Using a propane torch to heat them up should go a long way. Plus, the wheel being aluminum and the screw being steel, the expansion rates are different, and the clearance between them will increase.
                '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

Bump. I am not allowed to play with fire. Must buy impact wrench...any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by kickitjp
                    Bump. I am not allowed to play with fire. Must buy impact wrench...any suggestions?
                    Impact wrench or impact driver?
                    Impact wrench: if you have a compressor, you can't go wrong with Rand Ingersol. If you don't have a compressor, look for a corded 120 volt version and check the ratings (HarborFreight is cheap)
                    Impact Driver: Any auto parts store, JC Whitney. Cheap is good; making sure it comes with the attachments you need is better.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yeah, I 'm goin' with a driver Marc...cheaps the name of the game

Comment

OK, with an impact driver...it's still impossible! Am I supposed to blow torch these to get off? Do I even need to take the rotors off for a tire change?

Comment

Originally posted by kickitjp
                          OK, with an impact driver...it's still impossible! Am I supposed to blow torch these to get off? Do I even need to take the rotors off for a tire change?
                          Rotors do not come off for a tire change, at least on common shop changers; you take them off only when you need to change rotors.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

PROBABLY stuck on there with some red Loctite , which means fire good (heat breaks it up) .
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Yeah, I was going to replace the rotors and paint the rotor interior...but since I can't get them off, oh well

Comment

Working...
                              X