X

What Year R6 Shock Do I Need For A Pre

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ben2go View Post
    There are quite a few groups of people buying up the clevis style shocks.GS500,Katana,Versys,Ninja 650R,and I am sure there are others.I regret trying to hold out for that >$50 R1 shock some have bragged about.
    Got a link? Where would I find more info?
    So, from what I read here, the yellow and red springs on these shocks are the same weight, right?
    Is there someone still making the bushing/spacer for these?
    1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
    V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
    Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

Is this the correct shock? It looks like it to me, but with a red spring.
      Attached Files
      1989 GSXF 750 Katana.

Comment

Originally posted by ZookRick View Post

Looks correct to me.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

That should be it.There is a thread around here about the spring rates of different color springs.From what I remember,it wasn't very much difference.
          I am the one "THEY" call Ben.
          http://maniccycles.blogspot.com/
          http://www.facebook.com/pages/Manic-...69358576434069

Comment

I bought the shock, it probably has more adjustment that I need. Does anyone have ballpark setting for one of these shocks? I am about 220 lbs and have 15w oil in the forks with a spring spacer.
            1989 GSXF 750 Katana.

Comment

Does anyone have the bushings needed for these?
              1989 GSXF 750 Katana.

Comment

I thought those came with the shock or linkage.I do believe T Mod has them,or had them.
                I am the one "THEY" call Ben.
                http://maniccycles.blogspot.com/
                http://www.facebook.com/pages/Manic-...69358576434069

Comment

He was making them at one time, but isn't now so far as I know
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I just got them made at my local machine/welding shop. Costed $25.

Comment

2000 Rear shock 600

OK, sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, and I know this thread is old, but I figured it would be better to keep shock stuff together. I have read through tons of posts, most refer to the pre- and some are kind of vague about exactly what they are referring to (pre-post-750, 600, etc.) and it seems to change around within the threads so I was hoping to clarify this.

What can I replace the rear shock with on a Katana 600, year is 2000?

As I understand it, this shock is not rebuildable.

I have seen R6 08+ shocks suggested, but that seems to be for the older Kats.

I saw one thread where someone asked about using a 750 shock (which as I understand it, is rebuildable; and they were told "it should fit". They don't seem cheap and I really don't want to buy one, rebuild, pull my bike apart and have it not fit.

I don't want to spend a fortune on it ("monoshock" option, can't remember the brand, or Bilstein, etc.).

Oh yeah, I don't want the finished project to make my bike higher or lower.

Ideas, clarification?
                      Chris

The test of courage comes when we are in the minority. The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority.
                      Ralph W. Sockman

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security" -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by katinvermont View Post
                        OK, sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, and I know this thread is old, but I figured it would be better to keep shock stuff together. I have read through tons of posts, most refer to the pre- and some are kind of vague about exactly what they are referring to (pre-post-750, 600, etc.) and it seems to change around within the threads so I was hoping to clarify this.

What can I replace the rear shock with on a Katana 600, year is 2000?

As I understand it, this shock is not rebuildable.

I have seen R6 08+ shocks suggested, but that seems to be for the older Kats.

I saw one thread where someone asked about using a 750 shock (which as I understand it, is rebuildable; and they were told "it should fit". They don't seem cheap and I really don't want to buy one, rebuild, pull my bike apart and have it not fit.

I don't want to spend a fortune on it ("monoshock" option, can't remember the brand, or Bilstein, etc.).

Oh yeah, I don't want the finished project to make my bike higher or lower.

Ideas, clarification?

Post = 98-06 model katana.

Pre = 88=97 model katana.

The post 750 shock will mount exactly the same as the 600, with the exception of the 750 having a detached reservoir. This is super simple to account for, you just strap it to the side and zip tie it under the tail plastic, just as it's mounted on the 750.

Per your specifications, a rebuilt post 750 shock is exactly what you want.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks Kreylyn,

Exactly what I needed to know!
                          Chris

The test of courage comes when we are in the minority. The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority.
                          Ralph W. Sockman

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security" -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Ok. So I bought a 2010 R6 shock for my pre 750. Can anyone suggest initial settings on the various adjusters? I'm 6' 1"/240. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by elsueco View Post
                              Ok. So I bought a 2010 R6 shock for my pre 750. Can anyone suggest initial settings on the various adjusters? I'm 6' 1"/240. Thanks.
                              I am 6' 1" and about 225 so I set my preload to max and I also downloaded the R6 service manual, initially set them to what the manual said, then had to increase rebound and slow compression, then decreased high speed compression each a few clicks.
                              I cant find the manual I downloaded right now, if I find it I will post a link.

Page 3-31 is where the standard settings are.
                              Last edited by ZookRick; 08-11-2014, 08:44 PM.
                              1989 GSXF 750 Katana.

Comment

I am 6' 1" and about 225 so I set my preload to max and I also downloaded the R6 service manual, initially set them to what the manual said, then had to increase rebound and slow compression, then decreased high speed compression each a few clicks.
                                I cant find the manual I downloaded right now, if I find it I will post a link.

Page 3-31 is where the standard settings are.
                                RTFM: makes sense. Thanks, Zook!

Comment

Working...
                                X