X

How do you turn the spring pre-load?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you turn the spring pre-load?

The manual says to turn it clockwise or counterclockwise to your desired setting. How much force should this take?? I have my 2005 on the center stand in the garage and I can not turn it by hand. I hesitate to force with with a monkey wrench or hammer/chisel in case I am missing some step.

Is it just super hard to turn or what? Is there some magic step I need to take to make it turn freely? It seems like this is something that you should be able to manually do easily in case you are picking up a passenger.

I am trying to change from 4 to 6 for a passenger today.

I adjusted mine when I bought it new, and never messed with them again. They were smooth then. Sorry I'm not more help.
    ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
    チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
    Semper Fi

Comment

There was a spanner wrench in the tool kit. I'm guessing you don't have it?
      If not Progressive Suspension make a nice one that fits on a 3/8 ratchet.
      You only have three positions. (at least that is what is looks like from the fiche.)
      so maybe you're at the end already? Just to verify this is what your shock looks like?

If not and you have the threaded one, well sometimes you have to use some "persuasion" as my dad used to say. The three step one however, there are some pretty big leaps on each step, maybe some WD40?

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
        There was a spanner wrench in the tool kit. I'm guessing you don't have it?
        If not Progressive Suspension make a nice one that fits on a 3/8 ratchet.
        You only have three positions. (at least that is what is looks like from the fiche.)
        so maybe you're at the end already? Just to verify this is what your shock looks like?

If not and you have the threaded one, well sometimes you have to use some "persuasion" as my dad used to say. The three step one however, there are some pretty big leaps on each step, maybe some WD40?
        Thanks! Thats what I needed to know. I did not realize there was a particular tool for it. In the owners manual it just looks like the guy is poking it with a stick.

Its currently on setting 4. Want to bump it up to 6 for a 6" girl who wants a ride (so shes heavy, but not "heavy".

Comment

Originally posted by gnode View Post
          Thanks! Thats what I needed to know. I did not realize there was a particular tool for it. In the owners manual it just looks like the guy is poking it with a stick.
          Yeah you can try the poke technique. It takes a long time..
          Its currently on setting 4. Want to bump it up to 6 for a 6" girl who wants a ride (so shes heavy, but not "heavy".
          Damn, yeah 6 foot, I dig the heavy bit
          (dated a woman 5' 11")
          This is what it looks like:

About $8- $9

Comment

Almost broke my thumb, but changed the setting successfully!

Ride went well.

Thanks guys.

Comment

In addition to the spanner wrench in the toolkit, there is another piece ( well in my tool kit ) that you can add onto the spanner, it gives you more leverage to change the setting.

Comment

Originally posted by devildog79 View Post
                In addition to the spanner wrench in the toolkit, there is another piece ( well in my tool kit ) that you can add onto the spanner, it gives you more leverage to change the setting.
                Oh you know what... I think I know exactly what you mean. I will use that when setting it back.

Comment

lol... The first time i adjusted mine, i sat there for about 15 minutes wondering why it was so hard to turn. Once i used the extention piece it was very simple to change.

Comment

Working...
                  X