X

Brake Noise

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Noise

I just purchase an '02 Katana 600 about a month ago and it has been great so far. Only two things wrong with it was, it needed a new rear tire and the rear brake squeaked quite a bit. Brake worked perfectly fine, just more of an annoyance than anything. So yesterday, I killed two birds with one stone. I took the rear wheel off and got the tire replaced. Before I re-installed the wheel I decided to clean the rotor/disc off with some brake cleaner + scouring pad. Well that seemed to have fixed the sqeaking, after I got the wheel put back on, I rode around town for about 10 minutes stopping and starting a lot with no noise. That's the first I have taken a wheel off a bike / put one back on as I am fairly new to riding. I noticed with the bike on the centerstand, if I spin the wheel with my hand, it sounds like the rotor is rubbing the brake pads in a certain spot. Its a very faint sound, and its not slowing down the rotation of the wheel, so maybe I am just paranoid. I triple checked to make sure my chain was tightened properly and everything was aligned correctly. I don't feel any wobbling when I use the rear brakes either. Do you think my rotor / disc might be warped a little? Or should I check to make sure everything is aligned correctly a few more times? ha ha... Any thoughts would be appreciated.

P.S. No birds were harmed in the posting of this thread

With the limited use many rear brakes get, some noise will occur. Just make a point to use the rear brake every week or so.
    Very faint sounds while rotating the wheel, could have slight rotor warpage. If you can't feel it when stopping using the rear brake then let it go and enjoy riding your Kat.

Comment

Working...
    X