X

Assuming

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assuming

So I'm doing my fork seals at the moment..and assuming I dont loosen the allen bolt at the bottom of the forks and take off the cap...am i going to get popped in the face by a cap and spring flying at a high rate ofo speed?
    "I was not gonna ride a fighter at first, but then my testicles, that's what we men have, told me that if I did not, they would leave. I value the relationship I have with my testicles and so proceeded to rock it fighter" - cannonball

Originally posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
    So I'm doing my fork seals at the moment..and assuming I dont loosen the allen bolt at the bottom of the forks and take off the cap...am i going to get popped in the face by a cap and spring flying at a high rate ofo speed?
    Take the fork cap off first and then remove the spring and drain the oil and then remove the bolt from the bottom.

Tmod

Comment

That bolt has no affect on the fork spring. The bolt holds the damper rod in place in the lower fork assembly. So when you do remove the fork cap there will be tension on the cap, it will try to pop up/out. It not a huge amount but you can help it not damage the last bit of threads by holding the cap down while spinning off the last bit of the turn.
      How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Thanks guys, now I have a new issue..After pulling the forks apart, one of the two copper bushings got stuck in the bottom half of the fork. Any suggestiion on how to get that out? or am i forked?
        "I was not gonna ride a fighter at first, but then my testicles, that's what we men have, told me that if I did not, they would leave. I value the relationship I have with my testicles and so proceeded to rock it fighter" - cannonball

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
          Thanks guys, now I have a new issue..After pulling the forks apart, one of the two copper bushings got stuck in the bottom half of the fork. Any suggestiion on how to get that out? or am i forked?
          As I recall, one bushing is "stuck" to the lower leg and the other "stuck to the tube (upper leg). May need to use a bushing puller to remove it.

Comment

You may also try a "dental pick" type instrument. They can be found at an auto parts store.

When I did my forks both came out at the same time, however, the bushing does have a split in it to where you might be able to fit the pick to be able to pry it out. I can't say how much of a gap there is in the bushing at the split but with my Yamaha bushing there was none, so it may or may not work.

Comment

theh guy a the shop said it was stuck in there good there wouldd be a chance of him mariing the inside to get it out...but also turned out the lower was cracked so as it turns out i need to get new lowers so the bushing is no longer a concern. I swear if its not one thing its another

Comment

Do you need one or both?

If one, which side?

Comment

if squiggy aint got what ya need let me know i got a left lower i am about to pull apart
                  1990 kat 600 sigpic

Comment

That would be awesome. As of right now just the left, havent pulled apart the right yet. That has to wait for another day off. I'll let you know if its both though once i get it apart.

Comment

I'll check to see which one I have and get back to you. I only have one side.

If I don't post back then remind me as I'm in the middle of replacing the A/C system in my truck.
                      Last edited by squiggy; 03-16-2010, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X