X

RF900 Shock Installed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RF900 Shock Installed

I finished installing my rf900 shock today. Install is simple, only the nitrogen cylinder was/is a bit of a pain. So far I have it tie wrapped to the left side rear passenger peg. The shock also raises the rear of the bike about 1 1/2" so the rear tire rubs when the bike is on the center stand. Install time was about 45min. Didn't have to remove the rear tire.
    Well I'm going to go for a test drive and will report back on how it feels.

I'm intrigued...... Do tell more please.

Rear tire rubs.......as in the tire hits the ground?????
    Does the shock spring not hit the swing arm???

Buc
    it's my opinion......that's what makes it mine..

Toronto Canada that is

Comment

OK just got back from a ride and I am impressed. Much sportier feel to the bike. Makes the front feel kinda soft but nothing bad. I might try a set of progressive front spring to even out the feel.
      When the bike is on the center stand the rear tire hit the ground from the increased height from the shock. When it's on the side stand the center stand rests on the dog bone, but once I get my weight on the bike the center stand rests on the groment. There appear to be no clearance issues with the increased height. Lots of room between the swingarm and the spring and just enough between the spring and the swingarm.
      If anyone has any question feel free to ask!

Comment

What kind of settings do you have on the RF900 shock?

Also instead of spending loads of $$$ on progressives, try adding a spacer inside the fork tubes to stiffen the springs up a bit(two 3cm spacers worked wonders for me anyways)
        It's both a dirt cheap and quick install, if it does nothing for you you can always remove them and go for the progressives instead
        -= Har du styr på lortet, eller lort på styret? =-

Comment

The center stand resting on the bones worries me.

Even though when weighted you say it's not an issue..... be cautious when going over bumps like train tracks as such.

Toronto Canada that is

Comment

Originally posted by BucKatana
            The center stand resting on the bones worries me.

Even though when weighted you say it's not an issue..... be cautious when going over bumps like train tracks as such.
            I think that I'm going to take off the center stand anyway.
            As for settings right now I have them all in the stock rf900 positions. I think I'm going to go out tomorrow with some tools and "tweak" it to my liking.

Comment

Well.....I'll just have to keep my eye out for a similar beast.

Winter project I'd say.

Buc

Toronto Canada that is

Comment

If anyones interested, I have a spare RF900 shock in the backroom...just make me an offer.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddaemon1
                  Originally posted by Waltari
                  If anyones interested, I have a spare RF900 shock in the backroom...just make me an offer.

Still have that extra rf900 shock?
                  Yeah, its around here somewhere...just need to dig it out. PM me if your interested.

M

Comment

Yeah, its around here somewhere...just need to dig it out. PM me if your interested.

M
                    is that sold yet, I still am interested?
                    TDA Racing/Motorsports
                    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                    Who knows what is next?
                    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT

M
                      is that sold yet, I still am interested?
                      Well unfortunately, I do have the shock but the arm I sent off to a buddy in Wisconsin that is using to for a cb750 cafe racer project.

Comment

I have a spare RF900 shock as well. I have to say, it wasn;t exactly the cats meow. IN other words, its no better than the one the katana comes with, really. Like most shocks, they lose their damping around 10-15k anyways. And the RF shock is nonrebuildable. You are better off retrofitting a gsxr shock, fully adjustable, rebuildable, and easy to find.

Comment

right now my post kat shock isnt looking to good , so if u still have that rf shock let me know how much u want for it . but u mentioned putting a gsxr shock in there how would i know what year gsxr shock would fit and what kind of mods are needed so it can fit ?

Comment

just going to throw this out there... you realize this thread is 6 years old right?

Edit: Just saw your new thread. As you were.

Comment

Working...
                            X