No announcement yet.
X

Ohlins SU902 Installation on 99 Katana?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohlins SU902 Installation on 99 Katana?

Could someone who has been through this... give me step by step instructions and a tool/equipment list for this mod?

I just got the shock today and do not want to screw anything up installing it using Ohlin's "bare minimum" instructions.

I have basic tools and a centerstand on the bike, but if need be, i have a big shop I can use also w/ bike lifts and everything.

If anyone has pictures that would be very helpful also.
    I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Send a PM to trinc (Tim) who did this install a few weeks ago, and reference this thread.

Basically, it's as simple as removing the rear wheel, unbolting the old, bolting in the new, and reinstalling the wheel. If you have any doubts, let a shop do it -- it's less than an hour-long job for them.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

once again cp to the rescue

Comment

Originally posted by katana bob
        once again cp to the rescue
        Actually, he chickened out and sold it to SweetLou... who definitely needed a better rear shock more than any other rider I can think of.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

If it's a direct replacement for the old shock, you do not have to remove the rear wheel. When I replaced mine, I loosened up the 2 bolts on the shock, removed the seat, battery, and the battery tray. I did not totally remove the battery tray, just moved it aside so I could manouver the shock around. I was replacing the battery at the time which is why I went that route.
          The little boat drifted gently across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn't.

Comment

you go do it either way, CP's or Steve's way.
            TDA Racing/Motorsports
            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
            Who knows what is next?
            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT

While Steve and I have similar dogs and signatures, I don't think he has a Kat to replace the shock on anymore.

Ya'll can just call me Matt.
              The little boat drifted gently across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by The B00t

While Steve and I have similar dogs and signatures, I don't think he has a Kat to replace the shock on anymore.

Ya'll can just call me Matt.
                I am so used to seeing that on Steve's sig, My bad!
                TDA Racing/Motorsports
                1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                Who knows what is next?
                Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!

Comment

I got it in, and didn't take long at all. I didn't remove anything but the rear wheel (which was already off for new rubber). Just reached in with a 14mm socket, and undid it from the top, then undid it from the bottom.

Very easy.
                  Kan-O-Gixxer!
                  -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                  -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                  -Ohlins Susupension
                  -Various Other Mods

Comment

how does she ride lou?

Comment

dude that rear shock replacement is AMAZING (thanks cp)... the ohlins is fantastic..... it really takes all the road stress off the back, now i need racetech springs.... the rear is SOOO smooth the front seems "hard".

huge IMPROVMENT over stock. The install was painless as well.
                      99 Kat 6: hindle header+ carbon cannon, rear ohlins adjusty, K&N dirt mask, super jetted and flashy dyno'd, fiber-lyte pretty dash, carbon heel kicky guards, super cool solo cowl/second look seat skin combo ANNND the 520 chain conversion, super secrect perfect sprocket combo - some wicked pilot sport cup rubbers,NRC racing engine covers, fender elim kit --- any questions? FOR SALE $$$$$$$

Comment

Originally posted by Bulletproof Enemy
                        dude that rear shock replacement is AMAZING (thanks cp)... the ohlins is fantastic..... it really takes all the road stress off the back, now i need racetech springs.... the rear is SOOO smooth the front seems "hard".
                        I can get Ohlin springs for your forks too, if you want to go that route
                        I was planning on grabbing a bunch for myself around the start of November and telling everyone then.
                        Meanwhile, I've been dealing directly with the Ohlins factory overseas to see if I can get the rest of the SU802 rear shocks on the PLANET (yup, we cleared out north america... now we'll see if we can get the rest at that low-ball price the last batch came through at).

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Hmmmmmm, springs? Cyber can you get 1.05's for a phat guy
                          TDA Racing/Motorsports
                          Who knows what is next?

Comment

Hmmmmmm, springs? Cyber can you get 1.05's for a phat guy
                            I think so... I'll let you know definitively on Monday or Tuesday.
                            Q: Is the spring interchangable between the pre-98 and the 98+?
                            The part numbers are different, and ohlins doesn't list anything for the pre-98 in their catalog...

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

CP, get back with me (us) with some spring pricing ideas when you get a chance... im very interested!

has everyone else installed their rear shock?? i still cant believe the difference...

thanks
                              99 Kat 6: hindle header+ carbon cannon, rear ohlins adjusty, K&N dirt mask, super jetted and flashy dyno'd, fiber-lyte pretty dash, carbon heel kicky guards, super cool solo cowl/second look seat skin combo ANNND the 520 chain conversion, super secrect perfect sprocket combo - some wicked pilot sport cup rubbers,NRC racing engine covers, fender elim kit --- any questions? FOR SALE $$$$$$$

Comment

Working...
                              X