X

Ohlins SU902 Installation on 99 Katana?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bulletproof Enemy
    CP, get back with me (us) with some spring pricing ideas when you get a chance... im very interested!

has everyone else installed their rear shock?? i still cant believe the difference...

thanks
    i did mine a while back - it's a good shock but the spring is too soft. i'll have mine re-done ( i weight 170 ). had my front forks rebuilt & the ohlins adjusted by GP suspension.

tim

Comment

Ohlins got back to me today:

Mojoe still no reference material for your Kat 1100 shock; they don't have any info on the bike in their system.

re: fork springs They only sell one set of fork springs for the 98-05 Kats, an 80 n-m spring rate. $110 a pair. I don't know what the stock spring force is, but 80 n-m seems rather weak to me...

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

these are the calculations for the racetech springs. Stock pre98 front springs are rated a .63kg. a 1.0 is a good rate for a 200lb rider for the street.
        Rider Weight: 220 lbs.
        Recommended Spring Rate: 0.988 kg/mm (use closest available)
        Stock Fork Spring Rate (measured): .629 kg/mm (stock)
        Available FRSP S3534 Series Springs are:

FRSP S353410 RT FRK SPR 34.7x340mm 1.0kg $109.99
        FRSP S353480 RT FRK SPR 34.7x340mm .80kg $109.99
        FRSP S353485 RT FRK SPR 34.7x340mm .85kg $109.99
        FRSP S353490 RT FRK SPR 34.7x340mm .90kg $109.99
        FRSP S353495 RT FRK SPR 34.7x340mm .95kg $109.99
        TDA Racing/Motorsports
        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
        Who knows what is next?
        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

So what should I look for in a spring rate for the front? (300+lb rider)
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

1.0 kg lou
            TDA Racing/Motorsports
            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
            Who knows what is next?
            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
              FRSP S353480 RT FRK SPR 34.7x340mm .80kg $109.99
              I suspect the ohlins rep mistyped, because this would seem to be the same spring-basis as ohlins is offering (based on the range and the fact that the ohlins is stronger than the OEM spring), but 0.8 kg-m is the equivilent of 8.0 n-m...

I could see how a 27% stronger than a 'new' OEM spring would be a good road-bias for many riders (the difference between the rate Thaz said was OEM and the Ohlin replacements)... Now the question becomes whether the Ohlins replacements, like the OEM for the 98+, are a rising-rate spring, or like I suspect the race-techs are, are a linear-rate spring. I'd rather have a rising-rate spring that reacts faster to start and peaks around 1 kg-m than start off with a stronger spring. I guess there's only one way to find out, and I'll be the guinea pig again

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

rising rate or what I call dual rate spring is definitely better than a single rated spring. For those that don't understand this termanology: dual rate or rising rate = high spring rate as the spring is compressed thus stiffer. a single rate spring keeps the same rate through the whole compression cycle.
                TDA Racing/Motorsports
                Who knows what is next?

Comment

rising rate or what I call dual rate spring is definitely better than a single rated spring. For those that don't understand this termanology: dual rate or rising rate = high spring rate as the spring is compressed thus stiffer. a single rate spring keeps the same rate through the whole compression cycle.
                  A bit more clarification:
                  Dual rate have the spring as single spring with two different spring rates (either by varying the metal, the thickness of the metal, or the spacing of the coils), with each section having a specific strength (as Thaz pointed out, so the weak section gets activated first, and then the stronger section steps in to help). A progressive-rate spring can be more than two sections, and may actually have a different rate for each coil of the spring (totally progressive, with a different rate for each coil are rare in the motorcycle world, but they do exist).

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

clearity isn't my game it is yours

bottoms up
                    ====thom===
                    TDA Racing/Motorsports
                    Who knows what is next?

Comment

dual rate or progressive rate to my understanding isn't a good idea. oh, it may sound good in theory but in building a set of forks doesn't hold up.

i asked dave of GP suspension many questions. one question was about progressive spring rates. i hope i can translate what he stated accurately.

in building a set of forks you are pumping fluid through a hole(s) in conjuction with an internal spring. it's knowledge, fork/shock dyno that lets you dial in a compression rate for a specific bike & rider ( style ).

now if you change the spring rate in a portion of the fork stroke you've upset the the oil dampening component. it's better to have the oil & spring have the same rate throughout the stroke.

tim

btw cyber - my stock spring were measured at .74 rate ( 99 kat 600 )

Comment

good to know, thank you for sharing trinc. I would prefer a stiffer spring over a proggressive myself.
                        TDA Racing/Motorsports
                        Who knows what is next?

Comment

good to know, thank you for sharing trinc. I would prefer a stiffer spring over a proggressive myself.
                          i put progressives in my last bike - it was VERY nice for general riding. but for riding hard, a properly set up single rate fork will be a lot better - you won't upset the chassis as much with throttle changes plus you have a constant feel of the front tire ( railing in a corner with bumps/ camber or even adding compression loads ( dip in the road ) you don't want to add more force on the tire by the fork spring increasing rate).

tim

Comment

Originally posted by trinc
                            As the initial resistance or as the linear resistance across the range? The info I've seen says that the 98+ Kats use a rising-rate spring as OEM...

Either way, I have a couple pairs of Ohlin springs on the way to install & test. If someone else wants to be the guinea pig with the second pair -- and you know you'll install and ride them around the first week of November or so -- PM me and you can have them at my cost.

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Would those work with a 750 ? If so ......
                              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                                Originally posted by trinc
                                As the initial resistance or as the linear resistance across the range? The info I've seen says that the 98+ Kats use a rising-rate spring as OEM...

Either way, I have a couple pairs of Ohlin springs on the way to install & test. If someone else wants to be the guinea pig with the second pair -- and you know you'll install and ride them around the first week of November or so -- PM me and you can have them at my cost.

Cheers
                                =-= The CyberPoet
                                i don't know. he gave them back to me and told me they measured at .74

i wish it would quit raining - i really want to get out test my new front end.

comment #2. if you notice the bolt on the upper part of the shock - that is to mount a remote reservour. dave said ohlins would have a kit. next time you talk with ohlins could you ask how much the 'kit' is ? ( reservour & hose )

tim

Comment

Working...
                                X