Nice 1$ (Pre98)Fork Improvement :D

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice 1$ (Pre98)Fork Improvement :D

1$?

Yeah that's right, just added some radiator fittings inside the fork tubes of my 90' Kat today...

Was going to go for a set of 150$ progressive springs to sort out my wonky front end, but then my dad (being the jedi-master of MC repair) suggested the spacers...

So i since i was doing a complete oil/filter/chain change anyways i thought i'd try it .
    Unscrewed the top plugs and took a look inside and measured it, found some spacers from an old radiator we had lying in the backroom and set off to fit it.

The fork oil did smell a bit funky in one of the tubes, didn't have any new in stock, so i'll probably replace the oil in them both come winter.

Don't know if this will have the same effect on 88' models since they don't have the dampening adjuster.
    As for anyone else i REALLY recommend this mod. Any spacer that's the same diameter as the pipe in the top of the tube should do.

Mine where 3.25cm high with a 1½ cm hole in the middle
    They where a bit of a tough fit though(need to put loads of pressure on the top when you refit it)
    Took both my Dad and i (one pressing down, while the other turned the socket-wrench) to get it in.
    But i imagine that anything from 3-3½cm will do just fine

Now dampening setting 1-3 has meaning... curve handling is atleast twice as good and the ride is oh so much more comfortable :

Incredible how much difference a pair of 50 cent radiator fittings can make
    -= Har du styr på lortet, eller lort på styret? =-

really

Thats cool

Comment

You basically reduced the inner mass by adding the spacer which will make for a stiffer ride and quicker rebound.
      TDA Racing/Motorsports
      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
      Who knows what is next?
      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
        You basically reduced the inner mass by adding the spacer which will make for a stiffer ride and quicker rebound.
        Exact-o-mundo
        Just a poor mans preload adjustment but rather effective still.
        Tried few different Kats now(mostly stock) and all of them IMHO where much too soft in the front springs.
        If you never want to see a curve and prefer to ride the Kat like you drive a car, this mod will probably be a waste of time and effort.

Wonderful to have a quick and concise explanation though(for all those gearheads on here)
        -= Har du styr på lortet, eller lort på styret? =-

Comment

interesting. Good idea . I was just complaining about mine the other day.
          2002 R1
          Yoshi TRS exhaust, Undertail, Ohlins Steering Stabilizer, Dark Windshield, Frame Sliders.

Comment

Originally posted by Lagmo
            Originally posted by THAZKAT
            Exact-o-mundo
            Just a poor mans preload adjustment but rather effective still.
            Tried few different Kats now(mostly stock) and all of them IMHO where much too soft in the front springs.
            If you never want to see a curve and prefer to ride the Kat like you drive a car, this mod will probably be a waste of time and effort.

Wonderful to have a quick and concise explanation though(for all those gearheads on here)
            They seem week because stock spring rate is .63 Kg and for a person my size the spring rate needs to be 1.09 Kg.
            TDA Racing/Motorsports
            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
            Who knows what is next?
            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

I just did this..
              I'll be hitting my test road this weekend..

I used 7/8 thick stainless steel nuts.
              I did this:
              Spring, nut, washer, stock spacer..
              I didn't want the thin walled spacer to sit on anything irregular..

If any one wants to try it I may be able to rustle up some more nuts...

Comment

could someone post pics of these radiator fittings? and would this work on a post 98?

Comment

Hmmm , interesting idea . I too would like some more info/pics .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Here is the part I used:

And I stuck it here.:

In between parts #20 and #21

Comment

Common mod in Europe, I don't know why I haven't seen it in the states more often. A bit of steel tube with the same OD & ID as item 21 lets you cut to preferencial length, or using washers the same size as item #21 does the same (stack as desired).

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I like that it's easily reversable..
                        If it piches me over the bars this weekend.....

Out they come!!!!!

Comment

i just used a peice of pvc 1 inch longer then part 22 its a thin wall steel tube yank it out and put in pvc compress it with 2 people like lagmo and go instant stiffer forks that handle better

Comment

Originally posted by sinfulkat
                            yank it out and put in pvc compress it with 2 people like lagmo and go instant stiffer forks that handle better
                            I did mine by my self...:-k

are my spings really gone?!?!?

Or am I strong like bull?!?!

Comment

Neat-o , I like it .
                              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                              X