X

Nice 1$ (Pre98)Fork Improvement :D

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BUMP!

The other question I have is will I get away with 28mm in diameter spacer?
    Or does it have to be a precise 1" in diameter?

Thanks

Tok

Comment

To answer your question......... I don't know.

If you get a tube that fits correctly in the fork, and has the strength for it, then I'm sure it will work. I don't know of any reason why copper tubing would cause any sort of chemical problems, either (like corrosion, etc). I'd say it will likely work.... but like most things that haven't been done, nobody can tell you for sure.

BTW- You can accomplish a similar feat (with more work) by putting a spacer above number 16 in the diagram. It effectively lowers the front end of the bike, while at the same time increasing preload. Just throwing that out there.
      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

One more question...

If I replace #22 in the diagram with one an inch longer do I have to remove anything ells?

Thanks

Tok

Comment

Well, you have to take the cap off to get to it, but no, nothing else. You'd be a wise man to replace the oil while you're at it, though, if it hasn't been done in a while.

Oh, make sure you don't go pulling your fork caps both off with the bike sitting on the ground.
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

loudnlow7484

THANKS

Tok

Comment

I know this is an old post but I have a few questions.

#1 Can this be done on a post 98? (I have a 99 kat 600)
              #2 I Don't have a center stand. If I only do one fork at a time can I do this with it on the kick stand?
              #3 If this can be done on a post kat is this as easy to do by yourself as everone said it was?

I weigh about 175 and my bike seams to dip a little to hard during breaking with my front brakes and it just seams a bit weak. If I get positive fast responses I will be doing this mod tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by wicked1z View Post
                I know this is an old post but I have a few questions.

#1 Can this be done on a post 98? (I have a 99 kat 600)
                Yes it can
                #2 I Don't have a center stand. If I only do one fork at a time can I do this with it on the kick stand?
                With the weakness of the stock springs I would support it somehow. If ya pull one cap it may just take a nose dive.
                #3 If this can be done on a post kat is this as easy to do by yourself as everone said it was?
                Yes it is very easy to do, 1" PVC will work fine.

I weigh about 175 and my bike seams to dip a little to hard during breaking with my front brakes and it just seams a bit weak. If I get positive fast responses I will be doing this mod tomorrow.
                IMO this is a work around for getting the correct springs, Yes it will offer a stiffer ride and more resistance to bottoming but when this mod is done the sag may be correct with the rider on board but the free sag will be off.

So is it worth it? Yes if you are on a budget and can't afford a new set of springs.

Tmod

Comment

Thank you Tmod for your answer. Yes right now I am on a very tight budget. I do plan on getting better springs for the front but for now for the amount of hours I am working at the shop this is all I can afford to do. Does anyone have any idea on the length I should start off with in adding the spacers?

Comment

I just did this mod (well, putting the 7/8 nuts between the spring and washer) and I can vouch it feels quite a bit better. Before the front end used to wonder and bounce mid turn, now it feels planted and inspires a lot more confidence. Now I gotta save my money for a racetech emulator/.9kg spring package!!

Comment

Or you could swap the spacer No22 in diagram with 1" longer poly pipe from hardware store ( like they do with progresive fork springs )

Comment

Since the post 98+ Kats don't have a place to take the fork oil out the bottom of the forks. Would it be feasable to drill a hole tap it and cap it in the bottom of the forks so you could drain out the fork oil?
                        R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

cool mod

Comment

Originally posted by katman05 View Post
                            Since the post 98+ Kats don't have a place to take the fork oil out the bottom of the forks. Would it be feasable to drill a hole tap it and cap it in the bottom of the forks so you could drain out the fork oil?
                            I guess you could. I'd think it be just as easy to take them out of the triples and dump 'em out. I'm getting ready to do my first set of forks
                            -Steve

sigpic
                            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Sweet mod! I have an extra set of forks on the way I think Ill use the ones that are mounted to bike now as the test and rebuild the others to stock. Easier to me to swap forks than rebuild and be down. As this is my only mode of transportation. I have 1 quick question I am a big guy 6'1" 270-280lbs is the 1" enough for someone my size?

Comment

the 1 inch simply refers to the size of the pipe. yes it would be fine. I would start with maybe an inch longer than the stock spacer, then cut a little off at a time until you get the ride you are looking for
                                89 gs500e, k&n air filter, sv650 rear wheel swap, gsxr rear shock, 06 tank and bodywork, sv650 tail swap,

93 kat 750 v&h ssr2 full exhaust, 99 katana front wheel, a 180/55 on stock rim, post controls, heated grips

Comment

Working...
                                X