Nice 1$ (Pre98)Fork Improvement :D

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Black_peter
    Originally posted by sinfulkat
    yank it out and put in pvc compress it with 2 people like lagmo and go instant stiffer forks that handle better
    I did mine by my self...:-k

are my spings really gone?!?!?

Or am I strong like bull?!?!
    id say your pretty strong of just lucky

Comment

Actually i'll be taking a bit off mine this winter, once i get a bit of spare time.
      It's a bit too stiff atm, great for twisties, but a bit tireing on longer trips.
      When i take out the space to get them cut down i'll take some pics and precise measurements
      -= Har du styr på lortet, eller lort på styret? =-

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
        []They seem week because stock spring rate is .63 Kg and for a person my size the spring rate needs to be 1.09 Kg.
        actually if you could put that into an equation and tie it into the strength of the stock Kat springs, wouldn't it be pretty easy to work out just how long the spacers should be(in theory anyways)?

just mildly curious...
        -= Har du styr på lortet, eller lort på styret? =-

Comment

My 98 is now 8 years old and the front was a little spongy compared to the new Ohlins rear shock. So I decided to do this mod.
          I must say it was the simplest job I have ever done. I think mine was easy since the front end is under no load. Completely suspended by the steering stem.
          So putting the tube nut back on wasn't too bad.
          It is a major improvement to the front end. I don't have the bounce anymore. I added 1 inch of spacers.
          A definite addition for anyone who wants to save some cash.
          Bike is sold

Comment

Really ? How big a boy are ya ? I've heard the thing about the springs being soft , but I'm so light anyway I've never really thought much about it . Sounds interesting for sure , though .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
              Really ? How big a boy are ya ? I've heard the thing about the springs being soft , but I'm so light anyway I've never really thought much about it . Sounds interesting for sure , though .
              200 Couch pounds
              Bike is sold

Comment

I'm 270, would it be better to do this and/or go to a heavier weight like 15 or 20 in the forks?
                An Ole man once said:"It is better to be thought a fool because of silence, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt"

Comment

hmm, this sounds like a good mod, is it hard to take the tops off the front prings?(pre 98 600), how many parts do remove to put in the spacers, good sizes, thickness? my front is weak also but i'ma light guy(145ish) so this would help a ton.

Comment

ok are yall just not answering or are you still laughing at the big guy on a 600? 270lbs on a 600
                    An Ole man once said:"It is better to be thought a fool because of silence, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt"

Comment

Originally posted by Trigger
                      ok are yall just not answering or are you still laughing at the big guy on a 600? 270lbs on a 600
                      Sorry I wasn't listening...
                      What was the question?

I have the spacers and 15 weight oil.
                      I would do one at a time.

Comment

I'm 270, would it be better to do this and/or go to a heavier weight like 15 or 20 in the forks?
                        Much easier to just try the spacers. To change the fork oil your into removing the forks and pouring out the oil before filling.
                        I am 200 pounds and this sure improved my bike. Also now I am able to lower the dampening to two from four.
                        Bike is sold

Comment

Another great idea that i have found on this site...i love you guys...dont get it twisted, im a married man...
                          Ride fast and keep the rubber side down...

Comment

If you haven't changed your oil & oil seals in the last two years, do the oil as well as the spacers... And at 270, 15 weight is good. Additionally, if you want stiffer springs in general, I sell ohlin replacements for the 98+ Kats which are linear and 15-20% stiffer than the stock spring.

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

a few newbie questiones.
                              do you have to have the front wheel off the ground? do you change the fork oil at this point?
                              how much oil does it take?
                              verry cool idea.

Comment

Originally posted by smoubara
                                a few newbie questiones.
                                No problem, thats what we are here for...

do you have to have the front wheel off the ground?
                                You don't have to..
                                You are removing the top fork cap.
                                This holds the spring. So holding up the front would be best..

do you change the fork oil at this point?
                                No need to..

how much oil does it take?
                                verry cool idea.
                                495 cc??

Comment

Working...
                                X