X

dust seal , not oil seal !

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dust seal , not oil seal !

ok , so i got the what i thought were new dust seals here and i'm ready to put them on and when comparing the ones one the bike , these look different . they look like oil seals . the suzuki part # is 51173 - 15d00 . i looked and they are listed as dust seals . what i need is if you have the haynes manual handy is the seal on page 5.15 , figure 7.7 . it even says thats the dust seal . what i have looks like a seal that screws in with a spring on top . can anyone tell me what i have and which part i need to get ?? thanks .

503849-001 - this is the part number from the bike bandit part fiche

http://www.bikebandit.com/suzuki-motorcycle-gsx750fs-katana-1995/o/m6190

The dust seals I ordered had a spring at the top, whereas the old ones did not.
    "The Lord will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; people shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." - Zeph. 2:11

Comment

yeah that's what i have . the ones on the bike are completely different >

Comment

Aftermarket dust seals tend not to have the spring at the top. The OEM ones do for whatever reason.
        sigpic
        »Ross Wendell
        »1992 Katana 600, 1987 MR2 turbo, 2005 Corolla

Comment

ok , so you're saying these will work ? what about that spring ? does it just stay exposed . i just don't want to tear this bike apart and have the wrong part . the one in the haynes manual does'nt look like the one i have here , it looks like the one on the bike .

Comment

yeah, it stays exposed.
            "The Lord will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; people shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." - Zeph. 2:11

Comment

ok , anything else i should know before tackling this ?

Comment

if you are changing the oil seals, don't forget to take the hex bolt out of the bottom of the fork.

Comment

Take your time, keep track of all the spaces, etc. Expect to get oil everywhere when you pull out the oil seal and clean everything up real good before you re-assemble.
                  sigpic
                  »Ross Wendell
                  »1992 Katana 600, 1987 MR2 turbo, 2005 Corolla

Comment

Originally posted by RossW View Post
                    Take your time, keep track of all the spaces, etc. Expect to get oil everywhere when you pull out the oil seal and clean everything up real good before you re-assemble.
                    Keep the oil catch pan handy your gonna need it!
                    Joker
                    The newest addition to the Family!
                    sigpic
                    stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

thanks guys , i just got home . was'nt hard at all . i just needed the dust seals replaced .

Comment

Working...
                      X