X

Rear spring/shock swap??????? HELPPPPPP

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear spring/shock swap??????? HELPPPPPP

I have a 2004 Kat 600 and my rear shock/spring seems to bottom out yhea before you go there I know i am a big guy 6ft1 280lbs I am thinking about swapping the rear OEM spring/shock for a OEM 2004 Bandit 1200 set up has anyone done this?? Does anyone think this will fix my issue? I know it will make the rear sit higher not really worried about that. Please any help would be great. Also does it need to be a 2004 set-up or is it better to use something else? I dont want to have to modify anything if I don't have to. I didn't find any post that showed info about this exact swap. Any help would be great thanks RJ.

I'm not sure which shocks from other bikes work. I have an 06 600, which I put a 750 rear shock into. The 750 from certain years has a threaded collar for preload adjustment instead of just a limited number of notches. It also has separate rebound and compression adjustments with a remote resevoir for the compression, I believe. The springs can be changed out to fit your weight. Not sure how expensive it would be compared with other options. I think certain years of the R6 shock would work, but I don't personally know about that. There should be a thread about that around here somewhere.

You could also PM Tmod, as he is the resident suspension expert. I'll soon be having my shock revalved and swap the spring to suit my weight, which he is helping me out with.

If you're having problems with the rear, you should probably also consider doing something with the front suspension as well. RaceTech makes good springs for the Kat, which Tmod could help you with. He recently did some testing with the RaceTech company.

Comment

Thanks being a newbie here I can't pm Tmod thanks again though.

Comment

-Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Katrider04_600cc View Post
          I have a 2004 Kat 600 and my rear shock/spring seems to bottom out yhea before you go there I know i am a big guy 6ft1 280lbs I am thinking about swapping the rear OEM spring/shock for a OEM 2004 Bandit 1200 set up has anyone done this?? Does anyone think this will fix my issue? I know it will make the rear sit higher not really worried about that. Please any help would be great. Also does it need to be a 2004 set-up or is it better to use something else? I dont want to have to modify anything if I don't have to. I didn't find any post that showed info about this exact swap. Any help would be great thanks RJ.
          You do have options on some different shocks but some will require a little modding to something, I prefer the stock post 750 shock for the post 600's as they are the same dimensions and the 750 has the rebound, compression, and the threaded preload collar. Most if not all of the shock swaps will not solve your dilemma as they are just not sprung for your weight. Also when the shock raises the rear and the front stays the same you are changing the geometry of the bike, Some like that and notice a improvement in turn in. In the RaceTech seminar Paul (Owner) made a very good point, The best you've ridden is the best you know. So the question is are the stock shocks from different bikes that much better or are the Kat shocks just using very bad valving. When RT and I were working on the shock for my kat Paul was surprised as how many shims were on the rebound side. After having mine setup I can say the Kat can be very plush even with a stiff spring. I am at 210 Lbs and I have a 13.4 kg/mm spring as that created the perfect sag in the rear. So you would need right around a 14.3 kg/mm spring. Whatever you consider let me know and I will try and do my best to help ya out.

Tmod

Comment

Nice... pimp the wiki...

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
              Nice... pimp the wiki...
              Anytime someone asks a question I know there's an answer for, I go dig up the info and transfer it to the wiki where it should be MUCH easier to find, and doesn't come with all the associated thread BS.

Get the wiki idea now?
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post

Get the wiki idea now?
                Oh I get it.. I wish I had more time to work it!

Comment

My rebuilt post 750 shock from Tmod is much improved over the stock shock. I weigh 250 so one may not be perfect for you but it would probably be better.

Comment

Working...
                  X