X

A Little Lowering Advice...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Little Lowering Advice...

Okay, the other day, I got in my lowering links I won on Ebay. They lower stock, 1inch or 3 inches. And me being the nieve person I am, i went ahead and lowered it 3. THIS IS NOT PRACTICAL ON A KATANA!! It looks awesome, but i cant even turn corners without my fairing or mid pipe scraping. My wife got on the back to go for a ride (shes small, about 105lbs) and it wouldnt hardly move because the wheel was stuck on the inside of the rear fender. So just a little advice, if your going to lower, dont go more than 2 inches. It doesnt work. Ill post some pics when i get my hands on a digital camera.

Great advice.....thanks.

Hope they didn't run ya too much $$$$...

Buc
    it's my opinion......that's what makes it mine..

Toronto Canada that is

Comment

lowering links

ok i realize this is a newbie question, but where do the lowering links install?

Comment

Re: lowering links

Originally posted by wileebuc
        ok i realize this is a newbie question, but where do the lowering links install?

This isn;t a KAT but, they mount similarly

"Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

Is there a write-up on how to install lowering links on a Kat? I'm planning on lowering my GF's bike an inch, but only have a vague idea on how to do it.

Also, any write-up or info about matching the front end as well? (As in, lowering or raising something into the "triple tree"... whatever that is )
          "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

Is anyones linkage actually that clean!!! LOL,LOL!!

Comment

Originally posted by Teh_K
              Is there a write-up on how to install lowering links on a Kat? I'm planning on lowering my GF's bike an inch, but only have a vague idea on how to do it.
              Try this:
              Go buy her 1" thick soled boots
              It cheaper, doesn't affect handling, and makes her legs look like they go on forever

Grinning
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Anyone know know does lowering the bike affects handling?
                "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

Originally posted by Kat-A-Tonic
                  Anyone know know does lowering the bike affects handling?
                  Yes , negatively .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                    Try this:
                    Go buy her 1" thick soled boots
                    It cheaper, doesn't affect handling, and makes her legs look like they go on forever

Grinning
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    As delicious as that sounds, I'm afraid she won't go for it. She seems pretty set on lowering her bike (about an inch), even after I told her that it would affect handling and ground clearance.

As it is already, she tinkered with the fork and suspension settings where now the back is lifted a little and the nose is down, and she says that gives her about 1/2 an inch. So her handling is funny already (ie., sharp turning, etc). Worst case, she doesn't like it and we have to take the new links out.

Still, any info on how-to? Or is it pretty self-explanitory?
                    "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

What about cutting down the seat foam?
                      - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Traditional lowering techniques:

1. Shave the seat foam (works well for lighter riders) or replace the seat with a Corbin (which is lower because they use a broader surface at the rear of the seat with a higher density foam -- specify her inseam measurement when ordering).
                        2. Install longer dogbones (suspension support links)
                        3. Raise the forks through the triple trees (should only be one in conjunction with the longer dogbones; try to maintain the same general geometry)
                        4. 60 Profile tires in the OEM widths (i.e. instead of using a 120/70ZR17 use a 120/60ZR17). Yes, this will increase the roughness of the ride.

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by XFastStevwoX View Post
                          Okay, the other day, I got in my lowering links I won on Ebay. They lower stock, 1inch or 3 inches. And me being the nieve person I am, i went ahead and lowered it 3. THIS IS NOT PRACTICAL ON A KATANA!! It looks awesome, but i cant even turn corners without my fairing or mid pipe scraping. My wife got on the back to go for a ride (shes small, about 105lbs) and it wouldnt hardly move because the wheel was stuck on the inside of the rear fender. So just a little advice, if your going to lower, dont go more than 2 inches. It doesnt work. Ill post some pics when i get my hands on a digital camera.
                          thanks for the tip, I'm lowering mine pretty soon and since i'm a little on the short side I was considering the 3inch drop, but I guess I'll keep it at an even 2. hope you fixed it up!

Comment

Working...
                          X