X

2006 rear brakes movement

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 rear brakes movement

Ok im having a problem with my rear caliper when i step on the rear break my caliper moves slightly scuffing my polished wheel pretty badly. Ive parked it for now untill i can figure out the problem. Im thinking I need new break pads i think with most of the break pad gone it gives it just enough room to wiggle around back there.

I need suggestions or if anyone has this problem let me know how to fix it.

Yunggunz87
    92 Kat 750 rebuild from dead 108 days and counting till i get my license BACK
    01 mercury cougar
    00 cougar black
    sigpic

Originally posted by yunggunz87 View Post
    Ok im having a problem with my rear caliper when i step on the rear break my caliper moves slightly scuffing my polished wheel pretty badly. Ive parked it for now untill i can figure out the problem. Im thinking I need new break pads i think with most of the break pad gone it gives it just enough room to wiggle around back there.

I need suggestions or if anyone has this problem let me know how to fix it.

Yunggunz87
    What caliper bracket are you using for your mod?... stock Kat bracket? What axle size? What rotor size?

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I have a list at home im working right now ill have to get it and bring it in tomorrow to give you a better idea of what im working with.

yunggunz87
      01 mercury cougar
      00 cougar black
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by yunggunz87 View Post
        I have a list at home im working right now ill have to get it and bring it in tomorrow to give you a better idea of what im working with.

yunggunz87
        Okay... Other things to note as well that could have an affect on this...

Custom spacer (what size is it in mm between wheel and caliper bracket) or stock, and if stock it's from which bike (gsxr or Kat)?

How was the mod done to the brake arm (scratch build, bending stock arm, or moving connection (bolt on) point to the outside of the caliper?)

If you can give me that info, I can definately explain the issue and how to correct.

Krey

Oh, forgot to add....

Has the caliper bracket been shaved any or is it all stock?
        Last edited by Kreylyn; 06-06-2009, 09:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Ill take pictures of everything you sound like you know what your doing. I do know that the caliper itself is off a 2006 kat. So ill take pics and of the damage its doing aswell. Everything i know of is stock just off newer year models fitted together. Give me a day or two to figure it out.

thanx
          01 mercury cougar
          00 cougar black
          sigpic

Comment

Any updates/info yet?

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Comment

yeah actualy it needed new breaks i fixed that no problems now except after i fixed it and took it out i dumped it. so i have a ton of shat to fix now.
              01 mercury cougar
              00 cougar black
              sigpic

Comment

06 Kat, all stock. Do you know what the torque spec on the caliper bolts is?

Comment

Originally posted by debdrew03 View Post
                  06 Kat, all stock. Do you know what the torque spec on the caliper bolts is?
                  20-23...

Have you downloaded the manual?...

For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than to Google it for themselves.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Comment

Krey, you da man. thx.

Comment

Yunggunz87.... After thinking about this, I'm pretty sure you didn't fix the issue for your rear brake.

The new pads may have restricted the flex or movement of the caliper, but if it was able to move that much and touch the wheel, those new pads are gonna wear quick and your problem is going to re-appear.

I know you mentioned there are other issues now, but the caliper moving into your wheel is a pretty major safety issue as well.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Comment

Well my bike isnt exactly moving anywhere for now its basicly in pieces now i went down at about 70 mph 3 days ago right after i posted this and changed the pads i have to rebuild now.
                        01 mercury cougar
                        00 cougar black
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X