X

HEL 2 line upgrade

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HEL 2 line upgrade

Received my HEL brake lines from Mopowesports yesterday (thanks HS2020), and got ready to install them today.

This is the content of the package.

Started by flushing out as much break fluid as possible, covered up the lower parts of the front wheel and put plenty of paper towels around the bolt at the master cylinder to avoid spilling on any paintwork.

Loosened the banjo bolts, the clips at the fork and the splitter above the fender. Out comes the old brake line harness.

As you can see the old lines are stamped 9/01. Which I am told means that they are manufactured in September 2001, which again means these are the original lines (bike is 02) put on the bike. Guess it is way overdue to change them.

Attached the new lines to the master cylinder and routed them to the respective caliper. They were a little tight, and I think that the line going to the left caliper could have been an inch longer but I got them connected and they are not binding anywhere.

There is a bit of a twist in each line, don't know if this will even out in time, but that would help some on the tension in the lines.

I actually had to use the original bolts on the calipers (used the new washers) as I could not get the new bolts to thread well.
    Could the treads be different? Luckily the new double bolt at the MC fit fine.

Cant really tell if there is a differnece in the tread, but after half a turn on the new ones they were completly stuck. Did not try to put any force on them as I dont want to ruin the calipers. Anyway the old bolts fit fine so no problem there.

Torqued everything up and refilled and bleed both lines, the lever feels nice and firm, but I will bleed them again tomorrow just to be sure all the air is out.

Next thing... test ride
    2002 GSXF 750

My caliper bolts were a bit stubborn as well. I think I went with the original ones with new washer, too. And I noticed the twist as well. Made getting them on at the MC a little tricky.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
    -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
    -Terence

Comment

There is something with the 98+ kats. Some have fine threads and some have coarse. It is a crap shoot. Sorry about that YG. I am going to make sure they send both kinds to the next person. Oh you can rotate the fittings. Just hold where the fitting is crimped into the line and you can twist it by hand. I had to do that to mine. No what did you different to get your lines to bleed up right? This is for those that had problems with theirs.
      www.mopowersports.com

Comment

I don't know how tight they are but remember that the forks have a top out spring under the damping rod and the forks will actually extend further than when you just lift the bike off the ground. I would say about another 1/2".

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by HS2020 View Post
          There is something with the 98+ kats. Some have fine threads and some have coarse. It is a crap shoot. Sorry about that YG. I am going to make sure they send both kinds to the next person. Oh you can rotate the fittings. Just hold where the fitting is crimped into the line and you can twist it by hand. I had to do that to mine. No what did you different to get your lines to bleed up right? This is for those that had problems with theirs.
          No problem using the old bolts, so think nothing of it.
          Tried to turn the fittings but seemed to me to be pretty stuck, will give it another try.

I basically put it all together, refilled the reservoir, opened the speedbleaders and just pumped away slowly.
          Took a while but I could see bubbles coming up from the MC at every pump.
          When I saw fluid seeping out of the bleaders, I closed one side and bled the other out properly.
          Then did the other side, worked fine for me.

Just came back from the test ride, and the lever feels a lot tighter, and the feel is much better.
          Will leave the lever with some pressure on over night and bleed it again tomorrow to see if there is still some air in there.

Will also see if I can make a bracket where the splitter used to be, just to hold the lines loosely in place. That would make sure they dont rub against any edges.

Tmod: Good point, but i don't think that will be a problem, will check it just to be sure.
          Another inch on the length of the left line would have been perfect though.
          2002 GSXF 750

Comment

My Goodridge lines came with the fine and corse thread banjo bolts.

Comment

Got the twist out of the lines yesterday, and made a bracket to hold them loosely where the splitter used to be.
              Have no problem wit the length of the cables now, even with the fork at full extension.
              Re bled the lines as well, could not see any air coming out, but the lever feels just a little bit firmer.

All in all I am really satisfied wit this mod, one of the best I have done so far, especially together wit the speed bleeders
              2002 GSXF 750

Comment

Glad to hear that everything went well. Take a picture of the bracket you made. I am going to make one for my bike. I have an idea of how I want it to look.
                www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Originally posted by HS2020 View Post
                  Glad to hear that everything went well. Take a picture of the bracket you made. I am going to make one for my bike. I have an idea of how I want it to look.
                  Here is a pic of the bracket.
                  It is just a temporary thing I made from some old bicycle parts.
                  Will probably make something more permanent later.
                  Would like something in metal with rubber grommets to hold each line.

Please post pics of your solution when you have it.

2002 GSXF 750

Comment

got hel lines coming - what is he best way to route the 2 lines - do they go down one side of the bracket like the line going to the splitter or do they go one either side ?

Comment

Originally posted by kevb_uk View Post
                      got hel lines coming - what is he best way to route the 2 lines - do they go down one side of the bracket like the line going to the splitter or do they go one either side ?
                      Route them the same way the stock one is ran. That is the best bet on that. That is how I did mine.
                      www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Working...
                      X