X

front rotors

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front rotors

Can anyone tell me a measurement for how much play can be on the front rotors as in how much wiggle is aloud on the float? had my bike in for safety and the mechanic said there was just a little to much wiggle for him I asked him to explain and he said he didn't know how just to say it was to much for his liking.

If I need them I need them just don't want to shell out $700 bucks in rotors without understanding what the spec is supposed to be and if it's truly out, as yes they have a very slight wiggle to them I'm guessing about a mm or 2 either way and the rotors are still plenty thick and he said quite straight if they are a little loose can I have them re-pressed to tighten them up

Originally posted by jd383 View Post
    Can anyone tell me a measurement for how much play can be on the front rotors as in how much wiggle is aloud on the float? had my bike in for safety and the mechanic said there was just a little to much wiggle for him I asked him to explain and he said he didn't know how just to say it was to much for his liking.

If I need them I need them just don't want to shell out $700 bucks in rotors without understanding what the spec is supposed to be and if it's truly out, as yes they have a very slight wiggle to them I'm guessing about a mm or 2 either way and the rotors are still plenty thick and he said quite straight if they are a little loose can I have them re-pressed to tighten them up
    You mean side to side wiggle? or up and down?

Tmod

Comment

If your talking side to side, yes... they could be "adjusted" slightly so there is less play. I'm not so sure 2m is that far out though...

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Doesn't matter which way I wiggle about the same play side to side or in a rotating fashion seems to move just enough you know it's moved if that makes sense. To me it's just a sleeve mushroomed pressed together I thought the sleeves would be able to press out and new sleeves or bushings installed or the existing repressed if my rotors are shot because of this I'm ready to see if I can tighten the bushing or sleeves whatever you want to call them enough that he'll pass it and just park it till I figure this out, it is a 90 so I know myself I'll end up doing it now or it will be in the back of my head I just really want to get the cert done before my temp runs out at this point

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          If your talking side to side, yes... they could be "adjusted" slightly so there is less play. I'm not so sure 2m is that far out though...

Krey
          Are they adjustable? How? If you grab my rotors like a steering wheel, they move. When I run over a manhole cover or go over RR tracks, they knock pretty good. I do have a replacement set. It's one of those to do things.

Comment

Originally posted by Kfreak View Post
            Are they adjustable? How? If you grab my rotors like a steering wheel, they move. When I run over a manhole cover or go over RR tracks, they knock pretty good. I do have a replacement set. It's one of those to do things.
            They are put together by rivets. An appropriate sized "eyelet" tool can easily be used to tighten back up the rivets if they are too loose on the float movement. Look in the crafts department or walmart for the large eyelets you see on tarps. A hammer and a setter, and you can adjust it tighter easily.

If you can move it in line (meaning, it moves back and forth the way they spin on the wheel) then you may have a wear issue with the rivets, or worse... the parts. If it's the parts, then I can't help you there.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

preciate all the speedy responses Im gonna try and tighten up the rivets as it really seems like they just loosened a little with age

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                They are put together by rivets. An appropriate sized "eyelet" tool can easily be used to tighten back up the rivets if they are too loose on the float movement. Look in the crafts department or walmart for the large eyelets you see on tarps. A hammer and a setter, and you can adjust it tighter easily.

If you can move it in line (meaning, it moves back and forth the way they spin on the wheel) then you may have a wear issue with the rivets, or worse... the parts. If it's the parts, then I can't help you there.

Krey
                Mine are loose due to age and wear. They are getting tossed this weekend.

Comment

Your rotors are not supposed to move at all .the weight on braking will break them and bang . Thier junk if they are loose

Comment

1) Those are "floating" rotors and will have some movement.
                    2) If the so called "mechanic" is doing an official inspection he / she needs to have a spec to use to condemn something, not just a "don't like it" feeling.

Comment

Yea thats what bugged me he had no specs to give me and it's only 3mm of play 1.5mm each way which seems alright for something that floats. Oh yea he also told me I needed a new rear tire for cert as my chicken strips were to big and he didn't like how it wasn't worn even side to side he wanted it "nicely rounded side to side" or my bike would flop over in a corner the tire easily has half it's tread left I just chuckled cause I was ordering a new tire anyway due to the age of it

Comment

Originally posted by jd383 View Post
                        Yea thats what bugged me he had no specs to give me and it's only 3mm of play 1.5mm each way which seems alright for something that floats. Oh yea he also told me I needed a new rear tire for cert as my chicken strips were to big and he didn't like how it wasn't worn even side to side he wanted it "nicely rounded side to side" or my bike would flop over in a corner the tire easily has half it's tread left I just chuckled cause I was ordering a new tire anyway due to the age of it
                        ..... Dude... Seriously... Don't go back to that person for an inspection. They really don't have a clue.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                        X