Post shock on PreKat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post shock on PreKat

Hi all,
    My first post here after reading through the massive amount of info you have here! I love this site!
    Ok, So I'm a new and happy owner of a -94 Kat 600 and will start to revamp the rear. Want to improve the looks and at the same time get a bit sportier handling., Got a post rim on its way, a hugger, danish undertail, and a post98 shock, now my question.
    What is the advantage of using the post98 shock linkage together with the shock? I understand the shock itself will bolt straight in the old linkage, but i also read the little mod to make the post linkage work...But didn't get the advantage of that. Can someone explain?

Thanks!
    /Martin

It was recommended to me to use just the shock, not the linkage, but I don't know the reasons.
    Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

a bandit or busa shock could also go in the rear, but some modding might be required. haven't done it, but thats what i've read. even an r6 rear shock could fit back there with a little modding to the battery box.
      Captain of Squad 11

Comment

Yeah, the thing is that i have a complete post 98 shock with linkage, question is to yse the new linkage or not. Would it give any benefit?

Comment

Originally posted by Bronze View Post
          Yeah, the thing is that i have a complete post 98 shock with linkage, question is to yse the new linkage or not. Would it give any benefit?
          I doubt it would do anything besides mess up what you already have. To change the linkage ratio you first need to know where you are at, And at this point in time I don't know of anyone that has the linkage ratio for the pre kats. When I get some time I might check out the leverage ratio for the pre and then we would have something to go by and see if it would be a improvement or not. The stock post shock is valved pretty heavy but I have never heard anything back from anyone that put it on a pre.

So IMO just put the shock on and go riding.

Question: You say post 98 shock, which one the 750 or 600? The 750 will have a remote reservoir.

Tmod
          Last edited by Tmod; 05-28-2009, 08:58 AM.

Comment

I agree with Tmod.. Don't mess with links unless you know what you're doing.
            I highly recommend the post shock if it's in good shape. Having a real damping adjustment makes a world of difference.

Comment

I'm jackin!!

Tmod... the guy said he would send me the correct 750 shock instead of the 600 i got. how does the damping interact with the shock if at all? according to BP, there seems to be a link between the 2, but how do they hook up? are there any mods i'd have to make to the damping to get the post 750 shock working with the pre 750 bike?
              1990 GSX 750F Kat

gravity got ya down??

Comment

Post 98 750 shock bolts right up..
                All you need to do is snake the hose for the remote reservoir and mount the can somewhere. I mounted mine to the left passenger foot peg bracket.
                Then added my own touch by wrapping the can..

http://home.grandecom.net/~pyds/gallery_files/guinness%20can%20sm.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by pournstarr View Post
                  I'm jackin!!

Tmod... the guy said he would send me the correct 750 shock instead of the 600 i got. how does the damping interact with the shock if at all? according to BP, there seems to be a link between the 2, but how do they hook up? are there any mods i'd have to make to the damping to get the post 750 shock working with the pre 750 bike?
                  The shock is the damper and controls the spring. You will have 3 settings on your new shock which will be rebound at the bottom of the shock, Compression adjuster which is on the remote reservoir and the spring preload which will be on the shock body. The most important setting to get right is the sag, If you are getting the shock with the threaded adjuster then you will have more adjustment available to get the preload you may need. Keep in mind that just because you are able to crank the preload up and get the right sag does not mean that it is the correct spring for you. I still think that the spring will be on the soft side for you and you will need a heavier spring with less preload. Anyway you will be figuring this out after you get your new shock and install it.

Tmod

Comment

Thanks all! It's a post 98 600 shock, and it's the damping adjustment i am after..So I'll take your advice and skip the linkage.

Comment

Sorry for waking this thread up again, but i just came across this info:
                      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=76396 by arsenic who seems to know his stuff..
                      My question is to the purpouse of this mod, and if it is concidered a good one?

/Martin

Comment

You need to know what you are doing, and what the end result you are seeking happens to be.

I would just swap in the 98+ shock on to your Pre and see if there is any need to make further adjustment.
                        -Steve

sigpic
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Bronze View Post
                          Sorry for waking this thread up again, but i just came across this info:
                          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=76396 by arsenic who seems to know his stuff..
                          My question is to the purpouse of this mod, and if it is concidered a good one?

/Martin
                          I don't know what anyone would want to gain from that mod, If you do that you throw all the linkage ratio out the window and unless you have a way of checking the linkage ratio you will not have any idea what it is.

You can get excellent results just by getting a shock that is rebuildable and revalving it.

Tmod

Comment

Working...
                          X