X

Fork Rebuild

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork Rebuild

Trying to remove the bottom bolt on the forks. I got an impact 6mm long and just rounded out the allen bolt. I am just trying to replace the fork seals, is there another way to get the seal out without removing this bolt? I have the forks off, and have the cap off. If not what's the recomended next step? Drill out the bolt head and then try to fix it once it's out?
    1993 Kat 600 & 1999 Kat 750

Originally posted by ottoguy View Post
    Trying to remove the bottom bolt on the forks. I got an impact 6mm long and just rounded out the allen bolt. I am just trying to replace the fork seals, is there another way to get the seal out without removing this bolt? I have the forks off, and have the cap off. If not what's the recomended next step? Drill out the bolt head and then try to fix it once it's out?
    I would say drill the bolt head out with a 5/16" drill bit and that should get the head off and allow you to disassemble the forks, Then get yourself some new bolts. Trying to remove the seals would be risky as you might scratch up the bore and mess it up.

Tmod

Comment

Thanks for the quick response and the size. Just needed the verification that drilling as the next step. It's all out and the fork is apart. Now to order 2 new bolts, because with my luck the same issue will happen on the 2nd one.

Comment

Don't forget you need to replace or repair the crush washer..

Comment

Maybe TRY tapping in the next size up SAE allen .....
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

drill the head off, use a screw extractor (just don't break it off in there). Find someway to do it. Oh yeah, I second the crush washer thingy too.

Comment

Done. I drilled out the head last night and it came apart nicely. I was surprised how easy the left over bolt came out once it was disassembled. Ordered the new bolts from bike bandit last night, so hopefully they will be here by the weekend.

I already had the new crush washers, just didn't order new bolts.

I had a tried a larger size but that wouldn't fit. However the driver bits for my drill were really close to 6mm. I pounded one of them in and it still wouldn't budge, it rounded out eventually too. Using an impact gun on drill driver bits doesn't go well.

Thanks again for all the help and the quick replies.

Comment

Originally posted by ottoguy View Post
                Done. I drilled out the head last night and it came apart nicely. I was surprised how easy the left over bolt came out once it was disassembled. .

Yeah, isn't that weird???

Comment

Working...
                X