X

Leaking fork seal. Dangerous??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking fork seal. Dangerous??

Hey guys, this kinda sounds like a dumb question but is it safe to ride with a leaky fork seal? My right front fork is leaking and it's gonna be a little while until I can afford to have it fixed and I want to ride! So I thought I would ask you guys and get piece of mind.
    'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE
    ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS
    ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'

sigpic----------------------------------------

May depend on just how much it is leaking...post up a pic
    sigpic

Comment

Leaky seals will negatively effect the handling of your bike, and are a safety hazard. These are one of the few points that are actaully checked on a state inspection in NC.

I'll say no, it's not safe.

But then neither are motorcycles in general...

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Why not just fix them? $15.00 in seals and about 2 hours of your time.

Comment

you will be just fine
          just order new ones and change them as soon as possible....
          98 GSX750F
          95 Honda VT600 vlx
          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Depending on how long you wait and how much it leaks you may need to top off the fork oil because the fork oil level also governs the compression stroke.

Less oil means more air which means easier for the fork to compress and potentially bottoming out on the compression stroke.
            How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
            How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
            How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
            How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Not too much to worry about. Best thing to do is keep a rag on you while you ride so you can wipe down the fork periodically. You want to make sure you keep that fork oil off of your brake rotors and pads. Also, If its leaking really bad, I could run down onto your front tire, which could end up being a BIG problem. Your better off just getting it fixed now because it could make for more costly repairs down the road if you go down on the slick ****...

Comment

If it dribbles onto your brakes , life COULD suck ..... And yeah , HAVING them changed is a tad pricey . Doing it yourself CAN be tricky , but if you know what you're in for and have some info prior .... I just did one on mine a few weeks ago . Took a couple hours , and woulda taken WAY less if I coulda found my makeshift seal driver , but eh .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I rode with mine leakin for awhile... didnt realize how bad it was until I replaced them. If they get really bad it not a good idea. Take the front shocks off your car and see how she handles..... Not fun.
                  Originally posted by arsenic
                  93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

order the parts dive it sparingly till they come in mine actually got worse on the way to pick up the new ones :P
                    voting member of the 750 kat as your first bike club

94 750 katana (my prechuuuusssss)
                    82 1100 goldwing interstate (maybe a replacement for the kat)
                    83 650 Yamaha maxim (will run some day)

Comment

I did mine friday - seals and dust covers (wipers?)-- it seems like a big job but its really not...

Comment

I just noticed mine are leaking pretty bad. What parts need to be replaced? just the dust seals and oil seals? How hard is it without the specialty tools?

Looking at the haynes manual it doesnt look like to bad of a job.
                        06' honda 599
                        93' katana 600

Comment

Dust seals ain't necessary , and the job ain't that hard without specialty tools . Hell , only thing you really need is a seal driver , which you can MAKE with about $1 worth of PVC .... And you don't even NEED that . I did mine without . I wouldn't RECOMMEND it , but it's do-able . But you MAY have a hard time with the M6 allen in the bottom of the fork if it ain't never been removed before .
                          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Im going to go ahead and fix it myself. looking at this schematic it looks like I need two #7's, and two #5's. anything else? My dust seals look pretty messed up.

I read thru the tutorial at the top of this section and it suggested new crush washers, what # are those in the diagram above?

(edited my post, had the oil seal number mixed up)
                            Last edited by chadwc; 05-12-2009, 12:40 PM.
                            06' honda 599
                            93' katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by chadwc View Post
                              Im going to go ahead and fix it myself. looking at this schematic it looks like I need two #7's, and two #3's. anything else? My dust seals look pretty messed up.

I read thru the tutorial at the top of this section and it suggested new crush washers, what # are those in the diagram above?
                              #12 is the copper washers but I guess they could be called crush washers as well. If you are doing that you might as well do the fork bushings as well #'s 3 & 19.

Tmod

Comment

Working...
                              X