Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• katanawarrior
    replied
    Originally posted by Kfreak View Post
    Yes, another triple tree issue. No one ever said how their Kat handled after the swap to clip-on's. I did the swap a while ago and just recently swapped back to my original Kat upper tree and handle bars. My bike was twitchy and just didn't handle the way I felt it should. I would take a turn and the bike would drop into the turn too fast to where it gave me the feeling that it was going to slide. And at times the rear did slide. It was scaring the bejeebus out of me. I was blaming the front forks because of me disturbing them. (put new seals in.) After tearing just about everything apart, I finally went back to the top tree and swapped it. The twitchyness was gone and the sliding feeling was gone. Has anyone experienced this feeling after doing the tree swap?
    The fast drop in is the idea, (in reality, when you get to ride something lighter, you think the bike was going to slam you until it settles into the line) . The fast drop in takes some getting used to. As far as twitchiness and the rear sliding, that would be something other then the forks. Changing the tree and clamps, as well as clip on's didn't change the rake or trail, so its not negatively affecting any of the geometry of the suspension. I would say the likely culprit would be a non or ill adjusted rear shock, or shotty rubber, with the possible addition of incorrect tire sizes.

Changing tires/ tire sizes - makes drop in faster/slower, makes it settle into a line, or wander all over the road.

Clip Ons - Short, lower bars, angled in such a way were the force on the bars is exerted over a narrow range of motion. This effectively quickens steering, making drop-in faster on the twisties but not affecting ride quality. Another thing could be if the clip-ons were raises or lowered compared to their previous position, changing the ergonomics and weight distribution of the bike, that could make it act funny

Rear tire slipping - Badly adjusted shock, poor tire quality, and or wrong size tires.

Leave a comment:

• Kfreak
    started a topic Kat triple tree swap

Kat triple tree swap

Yes, another triple tree issue. No one ever said how their Kat handled after the swap to clip-on's. I did the swap a while ago and just recently swapped back to my original Kat upper tree and handle bars. My bike was twitchy and just didn't handle the way I felt it should. I would take a turn and the bike would drop into the turn too fast to where it gave me the feeling that it was going to slide. And at times the rear did slide. It was scaring the bejeebus out of me. I was blaming the front forks because of me disturbing them. (put new seals in.) After tearing just about everything apart, I finally went back to the top tree and swapped it. The twitchyness was gone and the sliding feeling was gone. Has anyone experienced this feeling after doing the tree swap?
Working...
X