X

lowering rear shock

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lowering rear shock

This may not be the right place to post this question so please move it if needed.

I would like to lower the rear of the bike by 1/2-3/4 inch. Can this be done by simply adjusting the rear shock? I can ride it fine now but want to be able to flat it better, when I ride 2 up its fine with the extra weight. Because of this I do not want to lower the back more then that. So what if I just turn up the nut on the shock with a spanner?
    Where ever, whenever I go for a ride, may I be joined by friends that have died.

RIP Cyber Poet, watch over us all Marc

Removing some of the spring preload will lower the bike while you are riding it but will also cost you some ground clearance so be careful how MUCH preload you remove. Ray.
    85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

I thought someone on here was selling dogbones to lower the Kat?
      How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

I didn't suggest dogbones because he said he rides 2 up sometimes. Preload is EASY to adjust, dogbones a little more time consuming to put on & take off to go 2 up. Ray.
        85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Unless said lowering links were fully adjustable links. That would be a viable option. Wouldn't take more than 5 mins to adjust, and could do it on the fly if you kept a couple of right size wrenches with you.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by ChuglyXJ View Post
            This may not be the right place to post this question so please move it if needed.

I would like to lower the rear of the bike by 1/2-3/4 inch. Can this be done by simply adjusting the rear shock? I can ride it fine now but want to be able to flat it better, when I ride 2 up its fine with the extra weight. Because of this I do not want to lower the back more then that. So what if I just turn up the nut on the shock with a spanner?
            Yes you can lower it by removing some of the preload but then the suspension will not be setup correctly and when riding solo it will not handle like it should. look around and see if you can find a set of links with two holes one for lower and one for the stock position. That should work for both needs but the spring will still only be correct for one of the two.

Tmod

Comment

my header rubs the ground on speed bumps so don't get to crazy..

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                Yes you can lower it by removing some of the preload but then the suspension will not be setup correctly and when riding solo it will not handle like it should. look around and see if you can find a set of links with two holes one for lower and one for the stock position. That should work for both needs but the spring will still only be correct for one of the two.
                Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post

Tmod
                  This was my concern as well, I don't need it done enough to screw up the ridability of the bike. It is only an issue because I upgraded to a corbin and I have shorter legs. I have the balls of the feet on the ground but would rather flat with both if I could.

The links are not going to work for me as 2 up is mostly unplaned and more of a "can we go for a ride" type thing. I know that any change would require an adjustment of some sort, as I change the setting of the shocks as is for the added weight, I do not want to have to move around on the dog bones.
                  Where ever, whenever I go for a ride, may I be joined by friends that have died.

RIP Cyber Poet, watch over us all Marc

Comment

Originally posted by ChuglyXJ View Post
                    This was my concern as well, I don't need it done enough to screw up the ridability of the bike. It is only an issue because I upgraded to a corbin and I have shorter legs. I have the balls of the feet on the ground but would rather flat with both if I could.

The links are not going to work for me as 2 up is mostly unplaned and more of a "can we go for a ride" type thing. I know that any change would require an adjustment of some sort, as I change the setting of the shocks as is for the added weight, I do not want to have to move around on the dog bones.
                    Well you could always set the sag to the max for you and when you go two up it will be on the soft side. Try setting the sag at 35mm and see if you can flatfoot and if ya can keep going up until you can no longer flatfoot and then return to the adjustment where you could just touch the ground.

Tmod

Comment

Sag

How do you set the sag. I bought my bike lowered and I recently put a new tire on and it rubs the fenderwell. I would like to raise it up a little bit. I am going to see if it has drop links but was going to ajust the spring on the shock.
                      RYNO
                      2001 GSX750F
                      1984 VT500
                      "Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Comment

Originally posted by RYNO View Post
                        How do you set the sag. I bought my bike lowered and I recently put a new tire on and it rubs the fenderwell. I would like to raise it up a little bit. I am going to see if it has drop links but was going to ajust the spring on the shock.
                        Here ya go.

Tmod

Comment

Working...
                        X