X

EBC is GREAT!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EBC is GREAT!

First off let me say I HIGHLY recommend EBC brakes to anyone looking for a quality product from a company who actually BACKS THEM UP.

A bit of history... I purchased my 1999 suzuki katana in 2007. Since that day the rear rotor has been warped and the brake pads seem to be scoring it, the owner said he did them himself and they included no documentation saying to NOT use shims (I already knew they shouldn't be installed w/ shims thanks to chris).

So... recently I took the caliper apart, and there they were...shims behind the pads which were pressing them into constant contact with the rotor. Im guessing that this caused uneven wear in the pad and built up so much heat that it warped the rotor (it was blue and SUPER hot last season).

If any of you have purchased these pads and used shims this is the part where you pay attention.

I emailed EBC a week ago and got a fast response from a Garry Gallagher. I told him that the shims weren't supposed to be there and that there were no indicators on the packaging saying to not use them.

He quickly apologized and told me there were brand new pads in the mail, but this is the part I didn't expect. He told me he would be sending me a brand new WAVE ROTOR for free. He said that he was very sorry for the inconvenience and the damage done to my STOCK RIDDEN 20,000 MILES ROTOR.

This is just a step above and beyond what most companies would do. Not only taking care of the customer for their mistake, but also sending a much better quality product for no charge.

EBC has a thankful and loyal customer.
    Last edited by IndyGunner; 04-16-2009, 02:16 PM.

Wow...that's great! Does the same apply to their front pads too? I installed a set not too long ago and did not see any mention of shims on the packaging either.
    1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

Comment

sweet!!!
      Godspeed
      CSBA #1167
      Renew your mind with God's Word and His Spirit today! Let others see you walking and living by faith! Let yesterday go! God Bless!

Comment

Well i'm amazed....

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by crazyaussie View Post
          Wow...that's great! Does the same apply to their front pads too? I installed a set not too long ago and did not see any mention of shims on the packaging either.
          Im not sure... I should check the fronts though...

heres what it looks like

I wouldn't mind getting a free set of fronts either

Last edited by IndyGunner; 04-16-2009, 03:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Oh man, that's awesome Ed. My HH pads are going on right now, and I have had an issue with sticking calipers as well. The pads that came out are stock Tokicos though, maybe EBC will hook me up anyway
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Nice!! Thumbs up for EBC.
              R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Ok... so I got the rotor in the mail. Brand new, in package, amazing!!! anyway, I keep looking and I cant find the pads in the box... nowhere to be found.

So... I email EBC again and ask if they were shipped seperate. The guy tells me they forgot and he then said this...

Ed,

One set of US Made, Double H, FA63HH's on the way to you, and also 1 set organic FA63 UK Made Pad's as well, as a back-up, and I would recommend you bed the new EBC rotor in with the black organic pad's... first...
                can you believe that!!! 2 free sets of pads on top of a free wave rotor. EBC has a customer for life.

Comment

Damn that is some good customer service and how all companies should treat their customers when things go wrong.

Tmod

Comment

Indeed .
                    EBC HH pads are spectacular .
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Using Zuma's dialect ... EBC Pads are the Cats Meow! Really best pads on the market (that I've used) and gotta love the affordibility. I ordered 3 sets of EBC HH's for my Bobber and it was only about 90$ total.
                      Currently Riding:
                      1995 Katana 600
                      V&H Exhaust
                      Jet Kit

SOLD
                      2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
                      1987 XV700 Bobber
                      REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                        Indeed .
                        EBC HH pads are craptacular .

Fixed that for ya Matt.

Glad they came through for you and it sounds like they REALLY went out of their way to do it, but I will NEVER use EBC pads again.
                        Ron
                        MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Originally posted by meanstrk View Post
                          Fixed that for ya Matt.

Glad they came through for you and it sounds like they REALLY went out of their way to do it, but I will ALWAYS use EBC pads. K&N Air Filters are Great Too!
                          And for you my sir...
                          Currently Riding:
                          1995 Katana 600
                          V&H Exhaust
                          Jet Kit

SOLD
                          2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
                          1987 XV700 Bobber
                          REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

LOL
                            THE DOC
                            RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
                            Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
                            mistake when you make it again.
                            sigpic

Comment

To be honest, I wasn't at all impressed with the braking performance of the EBC pads. Constantly squealed, and grip was inconsistent, sometimes good, other times real dismal. Replaced them after only 8K with some Carbone Lorraine units from HS2020 - these pads ROCK!!! No fade or squeal after 10K, and plenty of pad left. These things are regularly required to pull the Kat down from super slab speeds, and never leave me wondering, like the EBC's did.
                              2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                              2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Working...
                              X