X

Speed Bleeders, yes or no?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed Bleeders, yes or no?

I've noticed recently alot of suggestions for those having issues bleeding their brakes, was to remove the speed bleeders and put back on the stock.

Is this...

They don't work very well?

They don't work very well on systems that have been drained dry/rebuilt?

They work fine, people are grasping at straws to figure out what is wrong?

So what's the deal? Anyone able to atribute an actual bleeding issue with them?

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

I've just rebuilt one of the front calipers on my bike. My bike has a crossover line from the right caliper to the left. The caliper that I rebuilt was on the left. Last in line for the fluid. I did install speed bleeders during the rebuild and had no issues whatso ever purging the system of air. Front braking pressure is fantastic. My brake hoses are original. This is on my GSX-R 04. I had speed bleeders on my 93 Katana as well and drianed the system on that bike prior with no issues. I would suspect they haven't purged the air correctly, Have a brake line thats bulging or a master cylinder issue. One thing that will damage a brake line, well two actually, Leaving the caliper hanging just by the brake line and pinching off a brake line using something like vise grips. Either can lead to checking inside the hose which can impede the flow of brake fluid.

However instalation of just a speed bleeder is not going to cause braking to be faulty. A speed bleeder is just a valve, same as the original valve.
    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2it View Post
      However instalation of just a speed bleeder is not going to cause braking to be faulty. A speed bleeder is just a valve, same as the original valve.
      Yeah, I wasn't so concerned about that. My reason for the question is... If they are problematic in bleeding the brakes for the primary reasons I would be doing a bleeding, not much of a reason to have them then....

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Not quite. A speedbleeder is a one-way valve. The original valve is only closed when it is tightened within the caliper. Otherwise air can flow back into the line when the lever is released.

I was having problems bleeding my brakes with bleeders on until I got cranky and grabbed a handful of brake hard. No more problems. I must have had a bubble hanging on and when I grabbed, I forced it out. I start the bleeding process with a medicine syringe and some tubing. Then when most of the air is out, I switch to the grab method. Works fine for me now.
        Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
        -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
        -Terence

Comment

Originally posted by brooder View Post
          Not quite. A speedbleeder is a one-way valve. The original valve is only closed when it is tightened within the caliper. Otherwise air can flow back into the line when the lever is released.

I was having problems bleeding my brakes with bleeders on until I got cranky and grabbed a handful of brake hard. No more problems. I must have had a bubble hanging on and when I grabbed, I forced it out. I start the bleeding process with a medicine syringe and some tubing. Then when most of the air is out, I switch to the grab method. Works fine for me now.
          I was refering to the fact that its just a valve, Obviously I didn't mean to play down the fact that one needs to be shut before releasing while the other doesn't. What I was trying to say was physically, theres no difference in the way it deals with air. It doesn't insert any deeper into the caliper.

Point was they have another issue, Its not the bleeder itsself.
          If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
          Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

I was refering to the fact that its just a valve, Obviously I didn't mean to play down the fact that one needs to be shut before releasing while the other doesn't. What I was trying to say was physically, theres no difference in the way it deals with air. It doesn't insert any deeper into the caliper.

Point was they have another issue, Its not the bleeder itself.
            There is a difference in the way they deal with air. But you're right. The problem isn't the bleeder, it's the bleeding process.
            Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
            -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
            -Terence

Comment

I still find that by attaching clear tubing to the bleeder you can see what's happening - ie: are there still little bubbles coming out? Is the speedbleeder malfunctioning and you can see fluid/air reversing back into the bleeder? Plus it keeps things clean. I run a length down into an old water bottle (drilled a small hole in the top so the tubing can't come out) with brake fluid in the bottom. I immerse the other end of the tubing in the fluid so no matter what happens it can't suck air. Probably overkill for a bike where you can reach the brakes and see the bleeder at the same time but it's invaluable when working on a car

Comment

Just use a couple of bottles.

Comment

Originally posted by BradsKat View Post
                  I still find that by attaching clear tubing to the bleeder you can see what's happening - ie: are there still little bubbles coming out? Is the speedbleeder malfunctioning and you can see fluid/air reversing back into the bleeder? Plus it keeps things clean. I run a length down into an old water bottle (drilled a small hole in the top so the tubing can't come out) with brake fluid in the bottom. I immerse the other end of the tubing in the fluid so no matter what happens it can't suck air. Probably overkill for a bike where you can reach the brakes and see the bleeder at the same time but it's invaluable when working on a car
                  I agree 100% with that method but to add something to that wrap the bleeder valves with teflon tape a couple of threads up from the end that goes in the caliper to prevent air being sucked in through the clearance between the threads.

Tmod

Comment

I've had them on for a few years and changed the brake fluid a few times with no problems so, I'd have to go with They work fine, people are grasping at straws to figure out what is wrong?
                    R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Me being one of the recent posters with issues, I can in no way blame the sb's. The problem with the bleeding of the brakes was of my own doing. Saying that, when I do the rear brake, I am going to go with a sb and see how well it works. I am sure it will be worth the money.

Chalk this guys problem up to not paying attention to parts differences.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X