Setting suspension Sag....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting suspension Sag....

so, I've been reading this:

the question about setting the sag is, once all the measuring is done, you have to adjust under load right?

as in, the rider gets back on, and a person adjusts the preload to get the right sag height?

I'll be installing a Tmod revalved 750 ahock, and a set of .95 Racetech fork springs soon, and want to have all this worked out beforehand.

thanks for any help.

See My Garage for mods...
    T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
    Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Those Tmod shocks are tearing it up, watch out Ohlins

Sorry I have no usefulness to offer, im in the middle of the same thing.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

There are some useful videos on YouTube pertaining to it as I recall.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

It's not that big a deal..
        I made a rig for measuring the sag solo. Actually if you know the spring rate and the sag you can make a good guess..

Comment

none of this answers my original question tho...

Comment

Adjust it without the rider and check it with the rider.

If you adjust it with the rider you have to deal with the stiction in the system.

Tmod
            Last edited by Tmod; 04-09-2009, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JayBell View Post
              so, I've been reading this:

the question about setting the sag is, once all the measuring is done, you have to adjust under load right?

as in, the rider gets back on, and a person adjusts the preload to get the right sag height?

I'll be installing a Tmod revalved 750 ahock, and a set of .95 Racetech fork springs soon, and want to have all this worked out beforehand.

thanks for any help.

On mine, with the wheel off the ground would be my first measurement than with me on the bike. I'm at 1-1/4" on the shock. You may want to have Tmod install a RT spring on the shock as well.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXfs600 View Post
                I'm at 1-1/4" on the shock.

what does that mean... I'm following directions and measuring from axle bolt to a chassis point straight vertical from the axle, first unloaded with centerstand, then with wheel on ground without me.

Comment

Originally posted by JayBell View Post
                  what does that mean... I'm following directions and measuring from axle bolt to a chassis point straight vertical from the axle, first unloaded with centerstand, then with wheel on ground without me.
                  It's just total sag. If your checking sag on the bike only? that wont help you. as the bikes sag will only be about 1/16"~1/8" of an inch(if the shock pre load is close).

Comment

Originally posted by GSXfs600 View Post
                    It's just total sag. If your checking sag on the bike only? that wont help you. as the bikes sag will only be about 1/16"~1/8" of an inch(if the shock pre load is close).
                    I think their confusion came from you stating 1 1/4" at the shock which would be close to bottoming out on the swingarm.

I am pretty sure you meant 1 1/4" at the swingarm with you on it.

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                      I think their confusion came from you stating 1 1/4" at the shock which would be close to bottoming out on the swingarm.

I am pretty sure you meant 1 1/4" at the swingarm with you on it.

Tmod
                      Ya, I never thought of that! I measured from the axle nut, straight up to a piece of tape on the plastic.

What is the ratio of the shock to swing arm travel ? is it 1" to 2.5"?

Comment

well, that explains why from the axle to measurement point with wheel off the ground was 15.25" and with the wheel on teh ground was 15.4 ".... so i'm pretty close

will have a bud check it with me on it.. and adjust as its just a little too hard then.

thanks!

Comment

Working...
                        X