X

turning rotors

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turning rotors

A few weeks back I removed the wheeles off of the Kat so that I could do some painting. I removed the rotors and labeled each one for the right and the left. The rotors ae still in great shape but I was wondering if it would hurt to swap then to eather side?

Wouldn't hurt, but I don't see any advantage either, well it would change the direction of the stresses, kind of evening it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
      Wouldn't hurt, but I don't see any advantage either, well it would change the direction of the stresses, kind of evening it out.
      ... which could lead to bad things like faster material fatigue.

Comment

Or slower, like the carrier rivets will wear more evenly. The inner face of the mounting holes will now be stressed the other way. Aluminum doesn't stress fatigue like other metals.

Comment

I thought turning rotors meant machining them back to flat again?
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

That's what I thought when I read the title too..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
              That's what I thought when I read the title too..
              +1, I see a lathe in my head.
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I removed my rotors to paint my wheels (they were originally pink!) and I mixed them up when I put them back on.... The pulsated like crazy when I slowed, so I had to swap them back, but my rotors are exactly in great shape.
                Originally posted by arsenic
                93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                  I thought turning rotors meant machining them back to flat again?

Ditto...which leads me to ask, could you do that with bike rotors? My gut says no, but you never know.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jdm5770 View Post
                    Ditto...which leads me to ask, could you do that with bike rotors? My gut says no, but you never know.
                    I believe you can, that's why there is a MIN. thickness marking on the rotors. Finding a shop to do it though has proven to be the hard part though.

As for swapping left and right rotors; when I took mine off to paint the front rim I didn't note which rotor went to what side, so I just guessed and haven't had any issues with them. Either I guessed the correct side, or you can swap them without much hassle.
                    1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

Comment

I think the only issue with it would be that after a while the rotors form to the pads, so once that gets sorted out it should work right?
                      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

None drilled discs can be swapped side to side but in general drilled discs should not be, hence the L & R stamped into the carrier

The reason for this is that the holes in the disc are drilled in a particular pattern to aid the clearing of water & dust from the pads surface under braking
                        Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

It wouldn't be hard to turn these on a lathe. If I were doing it I would first just machine another piece which fits into a collet one side and has threaded holes on the other for mounting the rotor. After that it would be a matter of whether there is enough material left. I would imagine that places that "can't" do it, don't want to take the time to machine up the mount piece.
                          -2000 "750"

Comment

in my experience from running my automotive garage. No rotors with slots or cross drilled can be resurfaced. It would tear up the bits on the machine and just result in a really crappy finish. The minimum thickness spec is for rotor wear. Over time, rotors do wear some...at least on cars that is. European cars wear through rotors just like pads. One set of pads equals a new set of rotors every brake job. just my .02cents

Comment

Originally posted by BobCarter View Post
                              in my experience from running my automotive garage. No rotors with slots or cross drilled can be resurfaced. It would tear up the bits on the machine and just result in a really crappy finish. The minimum thickness spec is for rotor wear. Over time, rotors do wear some...at least on cars that is. European cars wear through rotors just like pads. One set of pads equals a new set of rotors every brake job. just my .02cents

That's what I thought about the min. thickness. Inspections have a min thickness on the rotors, anything below that rating needs to be changed.

Comment

Working...
                              X