X

Brake bleeding frustration

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake bleeding frustration

I rebuilt my front calipers, front master cylinder, and replaced the front lines with HEL lines from HS2020. I used BP's sticky on doing the calipers, no problems. I reinstalled everything, and I can't build any pressure. I have taken the MC apart just to make sure that was correct, still nothing. Took the calipers apart again, I thought maybe I hydro locked them. Still nothing. I can pull fluid thru the Speedbleeders using a syringe and piece of tubing, keeping fluid filled in the mc. Also, I have used the mighty vac. Both methods pulled air out of the system. No matter what I do, there is no pressure built at the handle. I have pumped for two days.

In gods name, what am I doing wrong? Please help me.
    sigpic

Take off the speed bleeders and put the stock bleeders back on. Bleed again. I once had a problem bleeding a car's brake system with speed bleeders on. We took them off, it worked after putting the stock bleeders on.

Comment

Did you torque the banjo bolts? They might be leaking air.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I have had problems bleeding sleds
        the MC moves so little fluid it is near impossible
        I have a vac bleeder now and it is a piece of cake
        LIKE the one below
        [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP7835-Vacuum-Brake-Bleed/dp/B0007VT4RC"]Amazon.com: Actron CP7835 Vacuum Pump/Brake Bleed Kit: Automotive[/ame]
        Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by katanafreak93 View Post
          Take off the speed bleeders and put the stock bleeders back on. Bleed again. I once had a problem bleeding a car's brake system with speed bleeders on. We took them off, it worked after putting the stock bleeders on.
          Well in my haste I tossed the bleeders, but it is possible they are still in the can at work. I will look for those tomorrow.

Steves-I have torqued the banjo bolts, though I will recheck.

Every time I pump the handle fluid shoots back out the larger hole in the bottom of the mc, looks like freaking Ol' Faithful.
          sigpic

Comment

Did you pump with the lid off? It's gonna fly out.

Comment

I have pumped with lid off, but can also tell thru the sight glass that it is doing it with the lid on by the way the fluid moves.
              sigpic

Comment

Tie the lever back, and leave the cap loose overnight... then try again.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Try gravity bleeding. Crack open the speed bleeder and let the fluid flow. Use a rag to catch the run off and keep filling the mc. No promises though.

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                    Tie the lever back, and leave the cap loose overnight... then try again.
                    Question on this. Do I do anything with the bleeders, meaning do I crack them or leave them closed.

Try gravity bleeding. Crack open the speed bleeder and let the fluid flow. Use a rag to catch the run off and keep filling the mc. No promises though.
                    Tried this, nothing.

I will leave the handle tied back tonight and thru tomorrow and try it all again after work tomorrow evening.

Thanks guys for your quick suggestions. I am racking my brain since I can't ride this week. For the better tho since the weather is back to cold.
                    sigpic

Comment

Scott if you run into more problems let me know. It takes a while to get the lines to bleed up. I ran into the same thing when I did mine, Fashers and Dapigs
                      www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Thanks, if I have more issues I will give you a shout tonight.
                        sigpic

Comment

I wish you luck man. I had the same problem when I installed a new rear master cylinder on the SV. Wasn't the MOST frustrating thing, but still a PITA for sure. Gravity bleeding helps
                          Currently Riding:
                          1995 Katana 600
                          V&H Exhaust
                          Jet Kit

SOLD
                          2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
                          1987 XV700 Bobber
                          REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

Wow, I'll be performing the caliper rebuilt on both front calipers (they're frozen right now and thus rubbing the rotors) tonight or tomorrow. Hopefully I don't run into these issues because I really want to ride!
                            Current Bike: 2005 SV1000S K5 Red, 7,xxx miles, Hot Bodies Double Bubble Tinted Screen, Hot Bodies Fender Eliminator, Pirelli Diablo Rossi's, LED Flush Mounts, Front/Side/Rear Sliders, PC-III USB, K&N Air Filter, aTRE Mod, TechSpec Tank Grips, Solo Seat Cowl, Corbin Seat, HEL SS Brake/Clutch Lines.

Working on installing: TPS mod

Anyone who loves their bike uses Rotella T6!

Comment

As you now know filling a dry system is a cast iron #$%@&...
                              Notes:
                              # Tying back the lever is an old trick, It allows air to bubble up through the lines and make it past the check valve in the MC. I doubt it will help here.
                              # Even the tiniest bit of air in the MC will hose you.
                              # I think speed bleeders complicate the process of filling a dry system..

I spend several days trying to get my MC to pump. What finally worked was cracking the banjo loose at the MC while squeezing the lever. I was then finally able to get fluid to move through the system. After that it was simple bleeding.
                              I tried about everything you tried Scotty to no avail.

Comment

Working...
                              X