No announcement yet.
X

Brake bleeding frustration

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks BP, I will give that a shot tonight.
    sigpic

Comment

If you can get your hands on a vac unit ,you would be done already
      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
        If you can get your hands on a vac unit ,you would be done already
        In the first post he said he tried a vacuum bleeder to no avail.

Tmod

Comment

Ok, quick update. No real progress but I am too tired from a 12+ hour day at work to try anymore tonight. Found the original bleeders, reinstalled. I can pull fluid out of three of the four bleeders using a large syringe and tube. The one I can't is on the left caliper, outside. I can pull long air bubbles ( about an inch long), but never get fluid.

HS2020, on the caliper end of the hoses does it matter the orientation of the end. Should the hose point upwards or down. So I am going to wok a lot on it over the weekend. Too much going on at work to come up and get frustrated over this.
          Thanks for everyones suggestions and if you can think of anything else please let me know.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by scottysags View Post
            Ok, quick update. No real progress but I am too tired from a 12+ hour day at work to try anymore tonight. Found the original bleeders, reinstalled. I can pull fluid out of three of the four bleeders using a large syringe and tube. The one I can't is on the left caliper, outside. I can pull long air bubbles ( about an inch long), but never get fluid.

HS2020, on the caliper end of the hoses does it matter the orientation of the end. Should the hose point upwards or down. So I am going to wok a lot on it over the weekend. Too much going on at work to come up and get frustrated over this.
            Thanks for everyones suggestions and if you can think of anything else please let me know.
            Build yourself a power bleeder, It will be done in seconds.

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
              In the first post he said he tried a vacuum bleeder to no avail.

Tmod

OOPS
              move bleaders screw position in case that "one" is clogged
              put some teflon (plumbers tape) on threads of bleader screws to seal the threads
              Are you doing the suction with lid off ? I would, just make sure the resevoir stays full
              Last edited by rexazz2; 04-08-2009, 08:03 PM.
              Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

I put mine with the hose at the back of the caliper.
                www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                  Build yourself a power bleeder, It will be done in seconds.

Tmod
                  If there's a harbor freight in your area, they have 3 different models of vacuum bleeders. For around $30, theres a power one that attaches to an air compressor. For around $25, theres the MityVac and for around $20, theres the HF branded version of the MityVac. Check it out if one is near you for sure!
                  Current Bike: 2005 SV1000S K5 Red, 7,xxx miles, Hot Bodies Double Bubble Tinted Screen, Hot Bodies Fender Eliminator, Pirelli Diablo Rossi's, LED Flush Mounts, Front/Side/Rear Sliders, PC-III USB, K&N Air Filter, aTRE Mod, TechSpec Tank Grips, Solo Seat Cowl, Corbin Seat, HEL SS Brake/Clutch Lines.

Working on installing: TPS mod

Anyone who loves their bike uses Rotella T6!

Comment

If you have a syringe, inject brake fluid at the bleeder, which will push the air up and out into the master cylinder. Just keep and eye on the master and suck the fluid out before it overflows. I got mine easily bled by leaving the bleeder open a crack, one end of hose off bleeder in container with a bit of fluid, then pumped lever fast (really fast) with one hand while topping up master cylinder with fluid in other hand. If you are opening and closing bleeder each pump, you are pumping too slow.
                    Last edited by Astro4x4; 04-08-2009, 11:25 PM.
                    2000 Katana 600
                    2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Ok, so I am not losing my mind, I am just not paying that close attention. I went out this morning and reverse bled my brakes. Tried to start pumping still nothing at the lever. While talking to my father in law on the phone, he suggested taking the MC apart and making sure the cups are facing the right way. Took it apart and realized that on the cup on the piston makes no contact to the inner bore of the cylinder, thus allowing air in to the MC. So I got the wrong kit for the MC and now have to wait till Tuesday to order the new one.

Thanks for everyones suggestions and helpful hints, but by me not paying attention to a detail like that has cost me a week + of riding.
                      sigpic

Comment

So since I last posted, I went out in my garage, found the original MC piston, spring, and cups, cleaned and reinstalled and voila, I have brakes. Within an hour my brakes are done, bled and tight. I did not reinstall the speedbleeders, but might try them again later, probably try one when I go thru my back brake.

I noticed Kreylyn started a thread about the speedbleeders and the issues I ran into are my own doing in my haste to get the brakes I didn't pay attention to new parts going in. I can't knock the sb's since I haven't had the chance to use them on a fresh brake job.

Thank god I did not throw away my original parts.

Thanks again guys. HS2020, those lines look great on the bike.

Scott
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X