X

Rubbed my undertail

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubbed my undertail

I was riding a few days ago and noticed I had bottomed out on my undertail. It is a 99 600 and it has the KK undertail. Now I was wondering maybe I went over a bump hard or sumthing, but I am a big guy so maybe I just need to beef up my suspension in the rear? TIA
    Last edited by Layinlowstang; 03-30-2009, 09:43 AM.
    99 Katana 600-Sold
    2007 Kawasaki ZZR 600-my new baby

There is an adjustment on the shock where the swingarm/ dogbones are. Just tighten that up (can use a pair of plumbers pliers) and you should be good to go.

Comment

rubbing undertails...haha...

but yeah, stiffen up the rear shock and see if that doesnt help a bit.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

just so I dont mess things up which way would I turn it to tighten
        99 Katana 600-Sold

Comment

If you can see the threading you want it to compress the spring further. I believe that'd be turning to the right.
          Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

Originally posted by HexKrak View Post
            If you can see the threading you want it to compress the spring further. I believe that'd be turning to the right.
            600 shocks don't have threaded collars, just the step-type adjusters.

Get the notch on the shock to the tallest step on the ring and that will get you the highest preload setting available for that shock. Otherwise you may want to look into some rear lift links(dogbones).

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
            You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Heres a pic of the undertail someone wanted it but there post is gone lol...what about the bandit or busa shock swap would that help anything
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Layinlowstang; 03-30-2009, 03:38 PM.
              99 Katana 600-Sold

Comment

a bandit shock or a busa shock swap would also raise it up a bit.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

I think I remember that the Bandit shock bumps it up 1.5"
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I keep my rear set to the highest setting and the fronts to mid... seems to work well for me... then again im like 140lbs

Comment

ya bit of a diff here the front seems fine though...and the back didnt feel like it was soft I didnt even kno I rubbed it until I was cleaning yesterday
                      99 Katana 600-Sold

Comment

Well, I weigh about 175 and the stock shock seems to work for me. Just tighten it up a bit. If you look under there, there will be a brass part that has numbers 1-7 on it. Just tighten it to 7, I think that is the tightest it gets. Hopefully you can get it to stop scrubbing! As for the swap to the other shocks, I wouldn't do it just because the bike was designed around the engine and suspension; even messing around the slightest bit with the dog bones will make a HUGE difference in the way it rides. I know for me, just half a bolt shorter and it made a really big difference.

Comment

Working...
                        X