No announcement yet.
X

Post 750 Kat Shock Rebuild

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How far from bottoming out is the bump stop?
    the bumpstop is still sticking up above the bottom spring keeper about 1/4".

Have you hit any potholes? And if so big ones little ones? How did the shock react to those?
    I avoid potholes like mad, in PA they will swallow the bike whole and bust up your rims. Hit some small ones ok, no odd behavior shock seemed to soak them up without too lively an action.

Any square edged obstacles? How fast were ya going when ya hit them?
    they've done some new water main work with a lot of square edged patchwork about 20ft apart, like little sharp speedbumps. did those at 45, barely noticed the BLIP on the rear as I went over them. the front noticed it tho..

After hitting a bump or something along the lines of railroad tracks does the suspension want to buck you off? As in too fast of rebound?
    No, the rebound is fine, comes right back after the bump, but not too fast, and the suspension settles back down right away.

When you adjusted the preload did you need to tighten or loosen the adjuster and how much?
    I needed to tighten it up, the preload as it was adjusted from you was pretty close. I made a measurement point on the tail unloaded at 18.5", after I got on it, we measured 3 times and got 17", so I moved the collar about 3/4 turn tighter, to get 17.25" at my mark... and locked it down.

I am sure there will be more questions but that will do it for now.

Thanks!!

Tmod

See My Garage for mods...
    T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
    Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

If anyone has ever been curious as to why the rear shock on the post 750 kats are a little lazy in the response department then maybe this will explain a little, Here is a image of the stock 06 750 piston and valving that came out of my bike. Notice the solid stack of shims on both sides of the piston, Oil needs to flow through the piston and push those shim stacks out of the way to get the oil through and the shock to move. Notice the red lines that show the oil flow for the different strokes on the piston. Those thick stacks are the cause for the wheel not responding to the road conditions and giving the rider any feedback on the rear.

Tmod

Comment

Would you consider a post 750 a viable shock upgrade for an 04 600 if it was re valved for the correct rider weight.

Comment

Originally posted by jschatz View Post
          Would you consider a post 750 a viable shock upgrade for an 04 600 if it was re valved for the correct rider weight.

Not Tmod, but we installed my old stock 750 shock into my friend Dans 06 600, and he said it was a big improvement.

hes about 180.

We are going to set the preload right this weekend, so the bike sits right for him.

the post 750 shock is a drop in to a post 600.

See My Garage for mods...
          T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
          Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Working...
          X